For Sale Roberts Roughstuff f&f

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Selling as I’ve got a replacement very similar bike which does much the same job and n+1 has filled up all available space.

It’s a 1997 Roughstuff in Columbus tubes.

Matching frame and fork.

Set up for me where pictured complete for 5’11” and saddle around 73/74 cm.

Seat tube 18.5” c-t, 16” c-c
Top tube 21” c-c, but sloping and effective is around 55cm (very approx, but have measured again by request!)
Head tube 16.5cm
1” threaded fork, plenty of steerer.
27.2 seatpost
135mm spacing
Canti brake
43cm chainstays c-c
All the braze ons and bosses you’d expect

I got this as a frame from eBay over 8 years ago, and slowly built it up. When it arrived there was a stuck seatpost, which I had machined out (it was cut flush). I then used a seatpost reamer to clean up. At the same time I chased the threads of every bottle cage, mudguard boss etc, and had the bike shop do the bottom bracket threads. I have stripped down today and everything came out nicely.

BUT : when the engineering shop reamed out the old alloy post, some heat (I assume) led to some ridges/deflection in the seat tube, right below the ‘lug’ and at the bottom-most extension of where I assume the seatpost was. The paint isn’t damaged, there’s no crack. I’ve tried to photo. I used quite a long seatpost (Paul) and have had no issues. I’ve done probably 1000km including towing a kid trailer, kid’s bikes on a follow-me, loaded tours to festivals and air b&bs, so seen lots of action with zero problems or further propagation.

Otherwise, there’s lots of chips and paint nicks, but no dents/cracks. It looked ok built up and the nature of the bike isn’t as a garage queen. I’d guess a powder coat and new decals would be one idea.

Given the seat tube marks, I’m going to say £185 collected Bournemouth or I’ll post at cost.

I’d happily sort some parts including the wheelset (m900) and probably the Tubus front rack, if anyone was keen, at very attractive prices - but not for sale separately at the moment.

Photos :

Attachments

• IMG_4815.jpeg
    IMG_4815.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4817.jpeg
    IMG_4817.jpeg
    786.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4820.jpeg
    IMG_4820.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4821.jpeg
    IMG_4821.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
And more photos

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    843.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4819.jpeg
    IMG_4819.jpeg
    658.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4818.jpeg
    IMG_4818.jpeg
    652.7 KB · Views: 23
Bump and I’ll say reduced to £175
This is too nice not to have built and ridden, so happy to entertain offers, and as I mentioned, some parts towards a build.

I do miss mine and did prefer the sizing of yours. Are they the bigger herse tyres fitted in there? How much would the wheelset be? You don't have a headset/stem/handlebar do you?

I do miss mine and did prefer the sizing of yours. Are they the bigger herse tyres fitted in there? How much would the wheelset be? You don't have a headset/stem/handlebar do you?
Hi, those were the 1.8 Rene Herse, but it could have gone a little larger. Maybe not the 2.3’s tho

Back