Roberts Phantom, the rebuild thread.

Nice work. Did they replace the seat tube or repair it? Also what's going on in the last pic with the BB shell - is that how they removed it???

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know the story. I have a Roberts' BD that's going to need a repaint at some point, and it'd be good to know about any potential pitfalls.
Oh it's nothing interesting, just my indecision.
Was going to go for Seca Blue (to match my car) sad eh, but decided that would be a bit too modern and doesn't work with any fades so ended back with how I originally painted it, just losing the purple. I was worried that I couldn't get a good match as it's so old and stove enamelled originally and had to rely on trust that Mario would get it right. I'll know tomorrow when I see it for real!
I'm rather particular as you may have guessed, so wasn't any easy decision either way.

Nice work. Did they replace the seat tube or repair it? Also what's going on in the last pic with the BB shell - is that how they removed it???
Replaced it. Actually they open the frame where the seat clamp is and take that out at the same time.
It was only then I decided to replace the BB shell too as the threads were rubbed away.

I could've gone without the sleeve - which gives you that little pointy down lug on the front of the seattube but I rather like it, so kept that feature.

A bit of summer sparkle for you..
Very pleased with how the paint came out, very pleased with the badging, just need to start building the old girl back up again.

Attachments

• IMG_2788.jpeg
    IMG_2788.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2794.jpeg
    IMG_2794.jpeg
    783.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2789.jpeg
    IMG_2789.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2791.jpeg
    IMG_2791.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2792.jpeg
    IMG_2792.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 51
Looking good.
It’s great that you saved it and give it a new lease of life.
I saw your frame in Winston’s workshop when I picked up my White Spider.
Yeah was the right thing to do.

Ha really - when was that. I got mine on Thursday.
You happy with yours?

That was mid July, I collected mine and I saw your frame there.
Happy with mine overall. Not perfect but good enough.

That was mid July, I collected mine and I saw your frame there.
Happy with mine overall. Not perfect but good enough.
Ahh ok. They seem to work in near darkness so it’ll never be perfect. I could highlight a couple of points but as you say, good enough.
Headset in today, I’ve gone Euclid as it’s very attractive and will go with the cranks(and had only been fitted 6 months or so before I had the work done.
Please excuse the state of the garage🙁

Can we take a moment to appreciate those Max stays…

Attachments

• IMG_2822.jpeg
    IMG_2822.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 34
Apologies for the lack of progress, have a few issues holding it back for a bit.
Unrelated to that I've put a note in the wanted section, but if any of you interested folk have an idea I'd be grateful.

Basically as I’ve switched the seat clamp around it’s now just a bit to close to my thigh when I pedal so what I need to do is replace the seat post QR with something much slimmer.
I saw that Hope do a nice bolt for their collar which might do the trick but if anyone has an immediate recommendation do tell.

Cheers,

D.

Latest posts

Back