Road Racing Pictures •

View attachment 894965View attachment 894966
The less than ideal rear suspension Johan M’s Bianchi, in the epic 94 Roubaix.

I remember reading an interview with him where he said something like the rear suspension soaked up just enough of his power to prevent him from bridging the gap to the critical group. He watched them ride away. Asked if would have suspension the following year he said, No not even an extra roll of bar tape.

I remember reading an interview with him where he said something like the rear suspension soaked up just enough of his power to prevent him from bridging the gap to the critical group. He watched them ride away. Asked if would have suspension the following year he said, No not even an extra roll of bar tape.
My ATB setup is as close as possible to my road bikes, has stiff suspension and narrow road tyres too. It's ok for a potter around the lanes but for anything else it's awful. One Sunday last winter I was heading home after an easy 25 miles on it (why, I've no idea there must have been some reason that I wasn't on a road bike) when I was caught by a club run - 'Ah', I thought, 'I can sit on them and get home quicker'. Not a chance - I lasted about a mile, maybe and mile and a half before I had to call it a day and watch them disappear into the distance.

Back