Road Racing Pictures •

I don't think road suspension forks were around for long enough to be considered as a trend. There were a chosen few picked out to use them but the forks didn't catch on, as most of us know. Which year did Gilbert Duclos Lassalle use them? I will take a stab in the dark and say he won Paris Roubaix 1994 but if he won it on a suspension fork equipped bike, I don't remember that detail. Someone can do the research on that, i'm going to sleep 🤭

I don't think road suspension forks were around for long enough to be considered as a trend. There were a chosen few picked out to use them but the forks didn't catch on, as most of us know. Which year did Gilbert Duclos Lassalle use them? I will take a stab in the dark and say he won Paris Roubaix 1994 but if he won it on a suspension fork equipped bike, I don't remember that detail. Someone can do the research on that, i'm going to sleep 🤭

Watched those videos umpteen times over. IMHO the forks suited him and his style of riding. The man does not flinch with attacks - he just claws it all back firmly seated, and just grinds, and grinds, and grinds, till everyone else is exhausted. He's one of the few riders not to get out out of the saddle after 90 degree corners to get the pace back.

It is indeed epic and a race and riding style seldom seen - you had to be at the top of your endurance and strength game.

How much the forks actually contributed to win will be folklore and debated forever, but that day the man was hungry and even with a rigid fork he would have plugged on regardless right up to the bitter end. There are moments this constant grind away is unbearable to watch.

The forks were popular in the peloton for the likes of Roubaix, with the winner using suspension forks in 1992/93/94 editions. Twice by Duclos Lassalle, and Andrei Tchmil. The suspension forks were used by 5 of the professional teams in the 1993 edition, and a number of individual riders also, so were considered a good choice at the time. Still I love all the gimmicks with bike tech, particularly in the early 90’s 👍

Reactions: Woz
I did watch a fascinating documentary on French TV which included the Duclos team mechanic and was fitting the forks.

Quizzed some 20 years later, he thought it was all bullcrap, the forks were fit for throwing over an hedge in the gulley and best forgot about. He firmly believed back then and now going with empirical and selecting the right tubulars and pressure was mechanically the best way.

When quizzed about the positive psychological aspect for the rider and in rolling up in face of the competition on the start line with an "advantage" he considered it without limit.

When it was diluted, tried by many, it was over, and the truth sort of came out, and Gilbert was getting ready to hang up his wheels for good.

As said earlier. IMHO a right marriage of right man and right machine for it's time.

1729636354233.png 1729636672819.png

Still can't get over this mans style. Even over cobbles. Feels like he was born on a low profile before they existed and he had to make do
and push it all to the logical limit in a condensed time frame and drive an unforgettable technological dart in of bike evolution for his own sakes.

1729637069805.png

Back