Rigid forks - axle to crown

severnthheathen

Devout Dirtbag
Help please. How do I calculate the axle to crown length I need for some rigid forks to fit a frame I bought recently? I don't know if the frame had suspension forks originally or if it was sold as a rigid. It's an 18" cro-mo GT 'Timberline' (26" wheels), late 90's I guess. Thanks.

Re:

Do you have a picture or know the year of the bike? It's easy enough to figure out once we know the year.

I was told it was 1998. There are no "all terra" decals, It has V brake bosses and the rear mech hanger is part of the dropout. If anyone can help with a date I'll be grateful.

Attachments

• DSCF6294.JPG
    DSCF6294.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 680
As it's a V, no-brake non disc frame it will be around 1998ish. At that time forsk were typically 80mm. A 410-420mm a/c fork should be about right.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Do you think I might stretch it to 425mm without any problems. I've seen some Salsa cromotos at 425 A-C?

I should think you will be fine - after all that's the kind of difference tyre choice makes. Just don't fit 460s or anything daft like that or it will handle like a wheelbarrow.

Re:

Konas of that era were 410mm BUT were supposed to use a larger (2.3") front tyre to give the correct head angle in use - so 425mm with equal sized tyres would be about right.

Back