Ridgeback Merlin Ti

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought it worth commenting.

There was only one Ridgeback Titanium and it never sold.
Back in 1990 it was hanging above the till in the West End Lane branch of Freewheel which was owned by Madison who also owned Ridgeback. It was an 18" frame with U brake on the back and the price at the time was £1200, it never sold, the principle reason was the U brake otherwise I would have had it with my staff discount.
Eventually it was moved up to the Nottingham Freewheel shop after the owner saw it on a visit to our shop and was the prize in a raffle, that was the last I heard of it.

It was a nice bike to ride, springy, light and fast but U brakes had become unobtainable so there were no takers for it.

Forgot to mention the West End Lane shop was a testing and dumping ground for anything new, strange or that didn't sell so we ended up with all sorts of stuff there including the Ti after it had been to every other Freewheel shop and not sold.

I guess not many threads have a second resurrection, been looking for pics of a 703DX and it brings me back to RB.
I'm planning to turn my 701lx into a 703dx as they share the same frames I guess now I'll have to do a build thread to go with it :D

It needs a lot of love and a DX groupset

Attachments

• 20140802_114946.jpg
    20140802_114946.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 320
Re:

If you find any of the Madison carbon bars, DO NOT USE THEM!
I've a set in my garage, from a bike that was barely ridden, and the delamination inside is scary.
Old carbon + riding = new teeth!

sickpup":2v97r1c7 said:
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I thought it worth commenting.

There was only one Ridgeback Titanium and it never sold.
Back in 1990 it was hanging above the till in the West End Lane branch of Freewheel which was owned by Madison who also owned Ridgeback. It was an 18" frame with U brake on the back and the price at the time was £1200, it never sold, the principle reason was the U brake otherwise I would have had it with my staff discount.
Eventually it was moved up to the Nottingham Freewheel shop after the owner saw it on a visit to our shop and was the prize in a raffle, that was the last I heard of it.

It was a nice bike to ride, springy, light and fast but U brakes had become unobtainable so there were no takers for it.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=354365

Re: Re:

makster":3htwdgdj said:
I've a set in my garage, from a bike that was barely ridden, and the delamination inside is scary.

Thankfully I have the original cro-mo ones no dentist visits for me :D

@ sinnerman that merlin is a nice bike

Re: Re:

kingbling":2crx76b8 said:
makster":2crx76b8 said:

Thankfully I have the original cro-mo ones no dentist visits for me :D

@ sinnerman that merlin is a nice bike

A stunning bike and a great thread to read. A credit to him. :cool:

Back