Ridgeback 603GS Date (Idle Curiosity)

CassidyAce

Senior Retro Guru
Out of idle curiosity, I was wondering if anyone happens to know when this Ridgeback 603GS dates from. I can't see it in any of the available catalogues.

Some of the 603s had double-butted tubing but this one doesn't seem to. In fact, it feels like Ridgeback built a tank to scare off even other armoured vehicles. 'Sturdy' isn't the word; my guess is it's at least 16Kg.

Attachments

• WP_20170827_006.jpg
    WP_20170827_006.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 412
  • WP_20170827_005.jpg
    WP_20170827_005.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 412
Re: Ridgeback

Hi

my guess is its a 1991 i have a 1990 one they are heavy but offer comfortable riding position that looks almost original even the madison airgrips

mik

Re:

Thanks. The wheels don't match, so I doubt if it's completely original. You're right about the riding position though - nice geometry.

I paid a tenner for it yesterday, on a whim, mainly because I was frustrated that a nice 705RS was being sold on eBay but much further away than I felt up to driving - 370 mile round trip. I thought I might try the 603 out for size and get a higher end model at a later date if the 603 shows promise.

Re: Ridgeback

Tenner wow great deal i got mine locally for 30 quid.
I have bought a different bike which is alot higher spec but i don't know if i like the ride as much as the Ridgeback though i have done 3 hour hilly road rides on it you really notice the weight then!!! they do come up now and then on here or ebay but i find alot of people will not post bikes now i have seen a couple but always the other end of the country.

Re:

Geometry that's friendly to my back is as important as weight to me these days. But three hours up and down hills on one of these beasts! Hats off to you. :)

Back