Retrofication of modern parts

bloodfire

Dirt Disciple
I have a '98 Zaskar and although I love it for its retroness. I still use it as my main and only mountain bike. I'm sure I'll post pictures up here one day. I have however, upgraded lots of parts though out time to what ever takes my fancy.

I recall MBUK retrofying their re-issue zaskar and the fork tickled my fancy. I like the idea of painting a modernish fork (pike u-turn with 80-115mm travel) to Judy yellow for that retro look

Is this a retrobike cardinal sin?

Not that it'll stop me but just curious what others think about the retro-look as opposed to the actual retro thing where necessity and choice collide.

yeah I really want to turn my manitou r7's into something like a M1, like the forks on that tomac drop bar thingy...but it involves work of some sort, and thats a bit too much.

I'd say do it! The thing is that old forks looked way cooler than modern ones, cooler colors, simple graphics, unfortunately the function was questionable. Wouldn't it be cool if Rock Shocks or Manitou would make some modern forks that looked like the old ones but with modern internals? (a retro edition so to speak of)

If you take a look at my DBR Axis TT in the lets see some Diamondbacks thread you will see it is running moden SR Suntour Axon forks. There are a number of reasons for this but number one is that they work and can be set to 80mm travel. In another thread I point out that it started life with Manitou 4,s that to be honest looked better than they worked. So yet agian my two pennies worth.........
If you plan to ride the bike, stick on moden forks and enjoy.
If you want a show bike stick on period correct forks and enjoy.........

Errr what was my point here?

Oh yeh, enjoy what you have.

I'm certainly in the 'If you are going to ride it, do what you like' category. My Rocky felt like garbage with a longish stem, flat bar and either rigid or Manitou 2 fork. I can't believe that I actually used to race successfully with that sort of set up BITD. I guess by default, everyone had the same set up too! My bike is waaaaaay more fun now I have but some risers and a fork that's only 14 years old on it :D

i'm thinking of doing that sort of thing to my 2008 hei hei maybe 92 graphics and ti coloured paint....

Back