Retrobike SE members - what are your plans for 2014

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Dear SE members.

Firstly this isn't a 'what do you want for the SE section for 2014', it is more being nosey as to what the SE group are planning for themselves. In turn, no doubt if people have similar ideas, it means things could get organised between folks.

So:

1) What do you want to do in 2014 on a bike?

2) Got any plans for a bike you want to build or upgrade / modify?

3) Any routes or races you are keen on trying?

4) Any dirty and improper thoughts about modern bikes (shh)?

5) Fitness / Miles / achievement you haven't completed before?

Let your fellow RB'ers know your secret plans ;)

I will go first.

1) In 2014 I want to do a 100 mile bike ride, as I haven't done that for a very long time. Doesn't need to be a Sportive or whatever, just a plain old undisputed 100 miler.

2) I want to get my Retro road bikes up and running, they need some TLC as they were under-used last year. I also for some reason want an Alpinestars e-stay, must be the alure of fluro stuff or something. Getting another mountain bike would be a very bad idea however.

3) No racing for me, but if I was feeling considerably fitter mid year, perhaps a short time trial just to ensure that the dictionary has an up to date definition of slow. As for routes, I have a friend who lives on part of the Liege-Bastogne-Liege route, so I would like to try a few of the climbs nearby to where he lives.

4) Unfortunately I have sinned and thought about bikes with plus-sized tires.

5) Cop-out answer, err, "fitter than last year"?

1) go out and Ride all day, (The century ride would be cool DA-EVO may be in the autumn)

2) Going to get my FW Evans touring bike built up, planing on riding single speed till March then put gears on for the rest of the year.

3) Might make it back to Mountain Mayhem, and defiantly Big Dog

4) I am thinking modern mountain bike maybe even a 29er

5) I would like to get back to where I used to be last year, and to ride more in 2014 than I did in 2013

1. Want to be able to ride some technical/uphill sections that have beaten me in 2013 .
2.Finally flog my Trek carbon road bike , to be replaced with either an old steel road bike or an old steel mtb frame .
3.Want to have a go at the Big Dog , would be my first time so would like to do as part of a team . Anyone wanna join me ?
4. Modern sucks , end of .
5.As I raced for many years , I've no motivation left to go further , faster or be fitter than I used to be .

Merry Christmas local R/Bers! :xmas-wink:

Mike

1. also would like to do a century ride.

2. all my bikes need little tweaks here and there as things wear out.

- Avalanche is on a very gradual diet. needs a proper spec set of tires, new shifters (2x9 set up) i'd also love to replace the mini mono's with magura martas.
- Tequesta needs to give back the V brakes it borrowed from the AA. hopefully source some m739's to bring them into line with the rest of the components. also need to source a period correct-ish crank set for it.
- LTS needs a major overhaul. quite intimidated by it :LOL:
- AA needs it's Vs returned. finally got a TB P2 fork for it. contemplating a snazzy chrome powdercoat to match the shiny stem
- Croix de Fer also needs a bit of a sort out. I have thoroughly used and abused it the last two years. new BB required too.
- Donnay will get finished in the next couple of weeks. v excited about this.

3. Big Dog (there is no retro category this year, so I am trying to sort that out and get it back). not sure i want to do HoNC this year, but would like to try for the 100km in 2015

4. lots of impure thoughts about FatBikes recently.

5. having managed 3K miles in 2012, and barely half that this year (and 1K of that in the first 6 months) I would like to do less rides but more miles if that makes sense. I took Klein Mad Chris on a CX ride that took in Bignor Hill and I would very much like to conquer that in one go next year

To do the South Downs Way in its entirety over the course of the year.
Any R Bikers welcome to join in but I'm right slow I am.

1. Already agreed to do the SDW in a day with a mate for charity.
2. Maybe get rid of my 80% built Kilaeuea and barely ridden Trailstar
3. No
4. Got one!
5. Fitter than now, actually riding would be handy!

1. come ride with you guys for the first time. :) I'm just finishing my funk build, probably fully finished in Jan and want an excuse to ride it, but if it isnt finished I have a couple of others I can drag out for a ride that qualify as old bikes with new parts.

ti_pin_man":kjoxjo9n said:
1. come ride with you guys for the first time. :) I'm just finishing my funk build, probably fully finished in Jan and want an excuse to ride it, but if it isnt finished I have a couple of others I can drag out for a ride that qualify as old bikes with new parts.

Get yourself along, no need to ride Retro, but always welcomed.

I think there are a few discussions going on about rides for 2014, so keep a look out and get busy :)

Ride 200km a week and nail the Isle of Man End2End race.
Finish the '97 Merlin and get out on it.
Be fit enough to ride hills for fun ;)
Could be tempted by a Madone SL or SSL
Could throw the SDW into the mix too

Back