Retro Style Meets Latest Technology with Ringle Style Cage

The real exciting stuff comes when you start thinking internally honey combed stems produced in titanium using DMLS.

The cages are a nice, if a little gimmicky in that they could be produced in other ways. The wonders of this technology is that it makes the impossible to machine, possible.

What machines do you use, being in Newbury is there any link to 3T?

I may from time to time have some custom component parts that I could pass your way if your prices are reasonable, probably a topic for discussion more privately but what machines and materials do you use, and what sort of tolerances can you achieve with them.

JeRkY":3e1gw3qt said:
The real exciting stuff comes when you start thinking internally honey combed stems produced in titanium using DMLS.

The cages are a nice, if a little gimmicky in that they could be produced in other ways. The wonders of this technology is that it makes the impossible to machine, possible.

What machines do you use, being in Newbury is there any link to 3T?

I may from time to time have some custom component parts that I could pass your way if your prices are reasonable, probably a topic for discussion more privately but what machines and materials do you use, and what sort of tolerances can you achieve with them.

Hi there, yes i work at 3T and have done sine we started. The internal lattice stem is on the way, i dont know what info you have on it but watch the 3T website for information as it will be on there as a case study in the next 6 months and all being well it will be on my track bike in manchester this october.

All the machine details are on the website for 3T but we run EOS machines, 3 x M270's and 1 M280. Wide range of materials but Ti6-4 is where i am concentrating my ideas for bike parts. We made a really cool set of brake levers from hollow Ti and the weight was 1/3rd of the original solid parts. PM me if you want more info but the internal lattice structures is very new and not many people know about that yet so would be keen to understand more if it is something you work with.

Martyn

Small world, you did a little bit of work for me when I was with Lombard Medical in Oxford (well didcot).

And I do have a number of small bike part related projects to run by you at some point.

Rob

JeRkY":yobg9ycg said:
Small world, you did a little bit of work for me when I was with Lombard Medical in Oxford (well didcot).

Believe it or not the honey combed stem is an idea I have been contemplating for a good few years now, I hadn't realised you were already on the job.

Yes, just this week, it is part of a funded project. I will PM you with some info but i dont really want to post much up here just yet.

I don't think they are hard to make and I would take up your challenge of making one of these from sheet aluminium but it would be a waste of my time, probably won't look as good unless I was prepared to spend a huge amount of time which I am not, and this would be using hand tool, a vice etc. (I converted to water bladder technology so no longer use cages). The time taken far outweighs the benefit hence I suspect everyone is not making them.

So they're not hard to make but the time taken outweighs the benefit? Isn't that essentially the definition of "hard to make"? ;)

Well despite the various comments I really like the product, Hats off to anyone who has taken time and effort to come up with a product/products like these.

I have been looking for a nice bottle cage thats different to convention, and not as expensive as the Ringle ones that pop up every now and then and seem to go for silly money. I prefer a bottle cage over a camelback or hydration pack, and my conventional wire cage is not always the best as bottles can still bounce out.

This looks like the perfect solution, I like the idea of personalisation and the retro styling that goes with it, so it wont look out of place on my bikes.

The proof in the pudding as they say will be after i've done a few more rides/events with them fitted to my bike, I will update accordingly :)

Jussa :)

MikeD":37zqxlzm said:
I don't think they are hard to make and I would take up your challenge of making one of these from sheet aluminium but it would be a waste of my time, probably won't look as good unless I was prepared to spend a huge amount of time which I am not, and this would be using hand tool, a vice etc. (I converted to water bladder technology so no longer use cages). The time taken far outweighs the benefit hence I suspect everyone is not making them.

So they're not hard to make but the time taken outweighs the benefit? Isn't that essentially the definition of "hard to make"? ;)

no - my definition of hard to make - and remember it was my post so I decide what I mean ;) - is that I cannot make it myself without special tools; the time aspect does not make it hard to make but time consuming to make.

For example let's say you want to make a mesh - that can be done by drilling lots and lots and lots of holes - not difficult but very time consuming.

Now let's say you want to make a Z-shaped brake caliper adapter, hard to make since it would need a mill to machine the faces that are parallel so the callper aligns correctly - it could be done by sawing/cutting by hand so is relatively quick to make but it would not be precise enough. (or at least I doubt I could do it).

So there is a difference.

Jussa":2nzmuusw said:
Well despite the various comments I really like the product, Hats off to anyone who has taken time and effort to come up with a product/products like these.

I have been looking for a nice bottle cage thats different to convention, and not as expensive as the Ringle ones that pop up every now and then and seem to go for silly money. I prefer a bottle cage over a camelback or hydration pack, and my conventional wire cage is not always the best as bottles can still bounce out.

This looks like the perfect solution, I like the idea of personalisation and the retro styling that goes with it, so it wont look out of place on my bikes.

The proof in the pudding as they say will be after i've done a few more rides/events with them fitted to my bike, I will update accordingly :)

Jussa :)

Hear hear!

Dunno what's going on in this thread :? The possibilities of this process seem immense and although the cage really doesn't exploit them particularly, it is something that is very popular on here, in short supply and hence relatively expensive, so not a daft place to start I'd say! The customisation is a nice touch too, much better than pretending to be an original in my humble...

Some of the case studies on the site
http://www.3trpd.co.uk/
are quite staggering, I'm pretty excited about the possibilities and very pleased that we get first look and maybe a chance to try a few things out! Any chance of throwing a few pics up? Not sure if I should be helping myself to images from the website so will let you... ;)

Cheers Martyn! :D

manitou916":3apk8dqt said:
martybmw3":3apk8dqt said:
If it was that easy to do then would everyone not just do that rather than buying one?
That's the idea behind RepRap, 3D printing for everyone: http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
Recent article here for those who don't know: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/europe ... r-home/229

Yes, that is the idea behind RepRap machines, unfortunately the quality of the parts is not great and the media used not very strong. But I am all for reprap machines as it show people the power of 3D printing. The big issue is cost, reprap $500 where as our EOS machines are about £750,000 but it is of horses for courses.

Back