Retro SanFran/California/Marin holiday advice needed...!!!

I'm planning something along these lines for my 40th (in 2 years time) so watching this with interest :D

Another +1 for Tahoe. 2.5 hours from SF - Stayed up there for a few days last year at friends 'cabin' at Truckee. great trails straight from the door, and Flume Trail was very enjoyable - nothing too technical, views astonishing though and best part was hooring down the fire road back to the car at the end. One of the higher trails i wanted to ride was still unrideable due to snow... in July.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157631

Also the GG bridge loop from SF is worth doing, not from an MTB perspective but purely as a tourist. Hire bike in SF, cycle the bridge and get ferry back over from Sausalito (or Tiburon if you want to range a bit further). Nice easy bimble on the bike...

Sounds like Fairfax Pat's got you covered, but you might also check out south of S.F... I live 30 miles south and there's some great riding on the peninsula and farther south to Santa Cruz. I'm a relative newbie and crazy busy otherwise I'd offer to show you around. You might try posting on the NorCal forum on mtbr.com, they're friendly people. Also, check out Bayarearides.com

I'm from the east coast.. but when I visited my brother in San Fran we did Downieville, a few hours away. The trails are old gold mining paths.. quite fun when I did it many years ago. I believe there are a bunch of shops where you can rent nice rides.

More closer to San Francisco was China Beach...

Last Saturday was the FIRST ride of this event. This is the Los Angeles area, around 400 miles South of San Fran

vintageride.jpg

Lots to do on a NorCal trip. Definitely suggest riding around the Repack area although a guide might be a big help. Been there a couple times on my own and found a large chunk of it but I wasted a lot of time on other trails as well.

Touring the vineyards is popular. Going south of the Bay Area to Big Sur has some nice sights. Yosemite is practically a must. Tahoe area is also gorgeous as are the redwoods in the very north of the state.

Really depends on your tastes. You could take a yuppie wine tasting theme trip or a stoner type trip to SF/Haight Street area and Humboldt County. A trip up the coast to Humboldt along Hwy 1 is among the most scenic drives in the US. If the wife is an urban type she may enjoy a SF/LA trip with Disneyland and Hollywood.

SF is about 3 hours from lots of nice areas to visit - Yosemite, Tahoe, Big Sur, or a wine country/Marin trip are all reasonably local (Marin/wine country the most local).

hamster":3cspf4be said:
You have to ride over the Golden Gate bridge - I did it at the end of a two-week tour riding from Portland. There is a nice pedestrian / cycle path outside of the traffic.

That bridge is hiiiiiiiiigh...scared myself silly as I hate heights. :shock:

YES!! i did this a few years ago. there are loads of bikehire shops in S.F. but all new bikes.
have a good trip,but watchout for the early morning fog,brr!

In 2005 I rented a specialized stumpjumper M2 from downtown San Fran, rode it over the golden gate, through Muir Wood and up Mt. Tam. Back down via the eldridge grade and hoo-koo-e-koo fire roads, then road via Sausalito and back downtown.

Felt like some kind of pilgrimage, although the trails weren't particularly technical.

Took all day, must have been 50 miles + pitch dark when I got back.

I had to keep the bike overnight (I hadn't arranged this) and was petrified the stumpjumper was going to get nicked from the hostel I was staying in! Took it back early doors, shop wasn't happy but what could they do!

Hi everyone!

I am in San Francisco now - sorry FairfaxPat for not getting back to you but I still haven't made concrete plans on what we are doing each day!

However we are hiring bikes to ride accross the Golden Gate today so we will be over in Marin. If anyone sees me and my wife please stop us and say hi. I am wearing my Retrobike jersey and socks and a blue CamelBak, my wife is in a pink top.

I am planning to rent a tandem so we might be on one of those but it depends on what's available when we get to the rental place.

Cracking weather guys, thanks!

Have fun rob- I did the SF ride in 2005 it was awesome, went up the top of the headland to a viewpoint above the golden gate bridge, it was one of the best days ever :cool:

Back