Retro Road Ride, May 9th or 10th

Re:

Sunday looking like the best day :cool:

Starting and finishing at 10am, Carats Cafe , Shoreham :p Coffee and cake, what can go wrong?

It's time to dust off those road bikes and oil your noisy shoe plates, let's ride! ;)

Mike

Re:

Well max, with a grand total of three, we had more bums on seats than UKIP. At this rate, we should be up to double figures by 2020! Maybe
Ride report to follow later.

Mike

Re:

Hi Max, very good ride :D even if I had felt like s**t most of the week !
Looking forward to the "ride report" :cool:
Mick

Re:

Had a nice ride yesterday with Godders and DA-EVO.

Mick has his lovely Saeco Cannondale and Dylan was astride his self made bike, very nice too :cool:
We met up as arranged in Carats cafe at 10am, had a quick cuppa, certainly quicker than the service :roll: before heading off.
Along to Steyning, then up past Stan's Bike Shack, through Partridge Green towards Littleworth. From here, there's some nice quiet country lanes, with a few short, sharp hills, nice! From there, we rode through Maplehurst, Nuthurst, Monks Gate, Mannings Heath then on to Warninglid. The Sun started to put in an appearance then, which was welcomed by all, after a cloudy start to the ride.
From here, I thought we'd try the pub at Bolney, on the old A23.
So we parked up,

Got some drinks, and studied the menu. Only thing that interested us were sandwiches. So off we strode to order something, to be told they didn't do them at the weekend :roll:
An alternative pub was discussed, and so we rode on some more, back towards the downs. At one point, Dylan noticed they had sort of disappeared, which was a bit worrying :shock: , but as we got closer, realised it was only mist/fog.

So on our arrival at the Royal Oak at Poynings, we got some more drinks

And ordered some food. Mick and I went for some chips that were very eloquently served in a baked bean tin :roll: while Dylan went for something a bit meatier.

I think he's just realized we're riding up Devils Dyke after lunch! :LOL: :LOL:
Maybe he just needed the extra energy for trying to lift my bike up!

Either way, we slowly made our way up the climb to the top, much to CipoGodders relief, before making our way back down to the seafront via the old railway track. Not without incident, it has to be said, as at one point I turned to hear what MrEVO was saying and veered off to the right.
Conclusion? Don't try cx-ing one of these bikes, it doesn't work! :oops: :facepalm:
So back to the start of the ride at Carats, we shook hands before going our separate ways.
This was really a scouting mission - sans waggles - for a regional retro ride later in the year.The conclusion I came to was that it would be better in the opposite direction, as there were more eating options between Littleworth and Steyning. But a very pleasant 48 miles with a couple of biking buddies, cheers lads ;)

Re:

Cheers for the pics mike :?

Anyhow, yes, it was a lovely bit o'biking, and whilst I do resemble the face that has had several too many burgers pushed into it, I got home feeling like I'd had a good day (we won't dwell on the next day of dull aches in every corner).

Here's some more pics.

Attachments

• 20150510_134425-sml.jpg
    20150510_134425-sml.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 20150510_134422-sml.jpg
    20150510_134422-sml.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 20150510_130051-sml.jpg
    20150510_130051-sml.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,133
Re:

Very enjoyable day out :) would be a good route for a "larger" number of riders ;-) some very quiet stretches of country lanes, made even better with some great company ! Many thanks to Mike and Dlyan for putting up with my intermittent coughing and splutering ;-) hopefully i will be more on " form" next time !
Mick B-)

Back