Retro Racing Photos

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Mum and Dad are having a clear out at their house, and stummbled upon a box of photos from my racing days.

So, I thought I'd share them with you :D

First lot from my days of racing for Pro-Circuit. These are from the winter series, and I'm riding my Diamond Back Response Elite.

Attachments

• Thetford 4.jpg
    Thetford 4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,877
  • Thetford 3.jpg
    Thetford 3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2,877
  • Thetford 2.jpg
    Thetford 2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,877
  • Thetford.jpg
    Thetford.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 2,877
Second lot from various events.

Representing East Anglia in a international 3 day event, held at Norwich.

Posing with my trophy after winning Youth Week, a week long event of various racing disaplines.

Winning a sprint for 3rd place an XC race held at Foxhall Stadium, Ipswich.

Sharing the podium with Bradley Wiggins, after getting 2nd at a road race held in Bury St Edmunds.

Attachments

• Bury St Edmunds.jpg
    Bury St Edmunds.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,874
  • Foxhall Stadium.jpg
    Foxhall Stadium.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2,874
  • Youth Week.jpg
    Youth Week.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,874
  • East Anglia Team.jpg
    East Anglia Team.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,874
That off road race looks very misty :shock: Looks like you have a mini camel back too

one-eyed_jim":3pxotht4 said:
Nice TT rig. Those TA 3-arm cranks must've been retro even then.

Thanks :D Sadly, dont have it anymore, but then I dont race now. Yes, retro cranks even then (iro '95). Actually, I've just sold the cranks to ededwards so there still going! ;)

tintin40":3pxotht4 said:
That off road race looks very misty :shock: Looks like you have a mini camel back too

Yea, it was, bl**dy cold too. The Camelback was one of the very first original ones :cool: It has only just split, so lasted 14 years!

Also that off road race looks like it found the only down hill in Thetford :shock: :LOL:

A few more:

Cyclo-cross event in Leicester, 3rd if I remember rightly.

'Wildtracks', Ipswich, leading out but finshed 2nd.

Prologue of the international, punctured and DNF, but got a win the next day.

Attachments

• Norwich.jpg
    Norwich.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,800
  • Wildtracks.jpg
    Wildtracks.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,800
  • Leicester.jpg
    Leicester.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,800
As requested by Pickle, here are some very early shots of me in early racing days when I were nobbutt a lad!

First pic is 1967 age 20 riding a 25 mile TT on the Mold - St Asaph course. Bike is an Eddie Soens fitted with a variety of collectable components such as Balilla brake levers and Campag gears.

In second pic I'm aged 17 in a 25 mile TT on the Chester By-Pass. No traffic lights then only roundabouts! Bike is a JRJ (old Bob Jackson name) track frame on 84" fixed. Very collectable now! Looks like I've just swallowed a wasp!

Third shot is a couple of years earlier riding my James Fothergill (Liverpool builder), very collectable now!

First 2 shots taken by Bob Prince and the 3rd by Geoff Hughes.

Attachments

• D1.50.1963.jpg
    D1.50.1963.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,781
  • BheadVics25.1965.jpg
    BheadVics25.1965.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,781
  • RhosonSea25May67.jpg
    RhosonSea25May67.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,781
Proper retro there Ned :LOL:

2nd pic, your riding fixed, cool :cool: I used to love riding TT's fixed; no power wasted (although you weren't able to ease off and take a break :shock: ).

Prompted me to have a look through the archives. Loads of piccies to choose from. The first and one is me in Marshalls Cycles colours racing at Tewin Water School, the second one is racing at somewhere near Towcester with me heading the field! The third is at Thetford racing through a bombhole and the fourth is a nice picture of my arse at Tewin, Steve Marshall always liked to include water in his race courses :twisted:

Attachments

• splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,731
  • bombhole.jpg
    bombhole.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,731
  • leader.jpg
    leader.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,731
  • wasps.jpg
    wasps.jpg