Retro mod

Spudalumps

Senior Retro Guru
Unsure where to post realise this is post 97…

Watched a sweet video over a year ago where these lads did a 1x12 on a retro bike XTR M950 wheels and brakes but the rest was I thought DEORE M6100 although

I wanted to do the mod myself fitting the 1x12 to a GT ZUM I’ve been saving and having a set of carbon Kinesis forks with gold v brake adapters everything just looks so…., having bought the DEORE M6100 and then realised the cassette is microspline! reading online it looks like SLX M7100 cassette is 12 speed hyperglide+ (HG+)

Question is what is HG+ and is HG+ compatible with original HG

HG+ is the ramps and shift gates on the sprockets that coupled with the correct chain allow smooth shifting under load up and down the cassette. It was introduced with 12 speed and is only used on that, all the 12 speed Shimano MTB cassettes fit on a microspline freehub.
Edit: Sunrace do 12 speed cassettes that fit on a standard Hyperglide compatible freehub. As does the lowest level Sram SX/NX cassette. Anything higher up in either Shimano or Sram requires a Microspline or XD freehub due to the 10 tooth sprocket, which is the reason for the new freehubs, 10t wouldn't fit on a HG freehub.

Last edited:
Back