Retro forks for 24" wheeled bike

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right so after not having any luck getting the rst forks on my sons hotrock fsr to budge, and not having any more luck finiding a replacement fork worth having are there any retro forks (similar amount of travel) that could be easily adapted for V brakes on 24" wheels?

I've seen someone remove the dropout and weld it higher up on some old Marzocchi's :shock:

I've seen someone make their own adapter for the brace on Rock Shox Mag's (not so bad)

I wondered whether something like a Pace RC35 would work because (unless memory fails me) couldn't you actually move the brake bosses down an inch?

Any thoughts very welcome indeed

Watching this with interest as I rebuilt one of these for my son last year - and he loves it.

His forks were also not great - they had been set too stiff but a bit of fiddling later and they worked. When upgrade time arrives - I was going to convert it into a 46er and run a 26" front end on it. Alternatively if you run disks on the front a disk compatible front shock will fit straight away.

Thanks guys, yeah the Pace may be the answer but not cheap.

I have had the internals out and cleaned them etc on the rst's but the stanctions do appear to be welded on to the outer legs as they are not moving at all! :shock:

there's loads of 24inch suspension forks on ebay

nothing of massive quality, but probably just as good as what you are replacing.

You say that but I can't find many of the OE ones available to buy. The RST Capa seems from what I have seen to be of a much higher quality than say Zoom, or Chilli or RST Omni to be fair. I only paid £50 for the bike so not really keen to spend £75 on a new fork.

You are right no decent Capas around on fleabay at present.

development_cycle":1y39ha5f said:
I only paid £50 for the bike so not really keen to spend £75 on a new fork.

I understand your thoughts but on the basis you got a hell of a deal on the frame...

I guess I have a number of options but they all include spending about £75 on it or selling it on to fund his first 26er; that still leaves me with a 24" wheeled gap for the next two though :cry:

development_cycle":2hi41byb said:
I guess I have a number of options but they all include spending about £75 on it or selling it on to fund his first 26er; that still leaves me with a 24" wheeled gap for the next two though :cry:

Or go and buy a £30 24" donor eg. Apollo or somehing similar off yor local gumtree/ebay and pull the forks off it. Will get him out and about. Then keep your eye open for some better forks and swap them back and resell the donor (for a profit) in time for Christmas. If you are going to sell the frame please let me know.

Yeah thought about that but don't really see the point, he can ride with it seized, not off road all that well but for his age it's fine I think. Just went and collected him from the stables and rode back together realising that he is actually so close to needing a 26er that I might just shelve it until the next one is old enough (18 months or so) to ride it.

Back