Retro bikes versus New bikes. (Have bikes really improved?)

Re: MMMMMMM

peteteamtig":274hwf6d said:
But hang on ! What about an AMP B 1/2/3/4 ? Disc brakes , modernish angles on tha later models , and more importantly a suspender system still being used by the most influential manufactuers :shock:

I know of at least one RBUK member who raced an AMP fork equipped bike around a fairly technical course last weekend. :D

Shhhhh...

dont tell anybody but I've just ridden off-road...

On a bike with froglegg cantilever brakes, 53t front chain ring, 23mm tubeless road tyres and

wait for it...

Mudguards.

I didnt die, I didnt wear a helmet, I even rode the route going downhill and had to actually apply a front and rear brake in the process... :shock:

Shhh....

LGF wrote that cars need discs cause they weigh more-I need discs cause they WORK BETTER ON MY MTB! I owned the first Fisher RS-1 made in 1991 and it was a good ancestor of my modern bike, but had a mechanical disc in the back, and was much cruder than the newest machines. As for hub brakes being used on the rear of a car because they are less liable to seizing-patently ridiculous! The balance between the front and rear on a car is set in the master cylinder and all the cars that have 4-wheel discs don't seem to have a problem with locking the rear wheels-or they would have drums! :D :D The picture is of the first RS-1 made, now owned by a pal of mine in Fairfax.

Attachments

• IMG_0480_dxo-1.jpg
    IMG_0480_dxo-1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 830
Rear calipers on cars seize as in stop working as in they're caked in goo not as in skids and hand brake turn type seizing. they do that because they are used less on the rear as the brake bias is set to the front.

You know, I have owned 171 cars so far in my life ( really!-I'm old!) Out of all those, maybe 70 of them had 4-wheel disc brakes. I have never had a rear disc brake seize on me yet, whether from bad brake bias or from being caked in goo.

FairfaxPat":3pgcli7i said:
You know, I have owned 171 cars so far in my life ( really!-I'm old!) Out of all those, maybe 70 of them had 4-wheel disc brakes. I have never had a rear disc brake seize on me yet, whether from bad brake bias or from being caked in goo.

Year but look where you live, a V8 can stand for 40 years and be fired up straight away, here cars & bits corrode as you look at them.

You knows it.

new bikes are crap! :LOL:

Seize

Here in Fleetwood , Lancashire :roll: Not Fleetwood in the States :LOL:

We have the problem of the sea air too , so not only is the humidity a metal killer but we have salt too !

My Honda Blackbirds calipers seized when the bike was laid up over winter in the garage . :cry:

What I wouldn't give to move back to sunny and hilly Darwen , no Darwen is in Lancashire also , not bloody Oz thats Darwin :roll:

Anyway I digress , modern bikes ride brill but look crap , have you noticed all the ano stuff creeping on to new bikes lately ? ;)

My place is surrounded by San Francisco Bay to the East and the Pacific Ocean to the West, but the only place I have seen rusty cars around here are the ones that live at the beach, like Stinson and Bolinas, and those are usually really old cars 30-40 years old.

albash82":10re4jwu said:
I don't suppose you own a specialized tricross do you mr wallace? the reason i ask is i've got quite a few customers who own a tricross and have similar views to yourself...

I have never owned a Specialized Tricross, though I can understand why those who ride a mixture of road and non-technical off-road could favor a cyclo-cross type of machine.

My preferred bike for non-technical riding is my 2005 Giant' NRS Carbon, a machine that is in fact a direct predecessor of your Lapierre Zesty. The Cleland bikes, modern and old, are my preferred option for winter riding and serious off-road use. They are are off-road tourers and like no bike you can currently buy in the shops. They're designed on the premise they should be able to cope with the full spectrum of trail conditions and you shouldn't have to get off for difficult sections. This is the exact opposite to cyclo-cross approach.

Back