Restoration MKM Wes Mason

OrangeChris

Retrobike Rider
This was my father-in-laws which he's owned since new, and gave to me a few months ago after I expressed an interest in road riding.

The paint is pretty beaten up and I was wondering whether it should it be preserved or restored? I'm not a huge fan of the colour so was going to have it resprayed to a colour I like and get some new decals for it.

I've got a 1974 Campag Super Record chainset for it and a vintage Brooks saddle for it. It needs some vintage pedals and a few of the chrome clips need replacing or re-chroming.

Rear mech: Campagnolo Gran Sport
Front mech:Campagnolo Gran Sport or a Super Record
Hubs: High flange Campagnolo Super Record 27"
Brakes: Mafac levers with Weinmann carreras
Cinelli bars and stem.

The Madison saddle, tape and Shimano 600X chainset in the photo was added sometime in the 1980s I think.

I'm genuinely interested to hear what your thoughts.

Cheers!

Attachments

• WesMason_1.jpg
    WesMason_1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 870
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 870
  • WesMason_2.jpg
    WesMason_2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 869
  • GranSportRearMech.jpg
    GranSportRearMech.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 870
Hi Chris, nice bike, will be very very nice once repainted, it looks as if its gone pass the point where a cleanup and oil will look okay, and any way all the new/polished components I think would look wrong against it. I have a Holdsworth Mistral in that colour ( it must of been fashionable at some stage ), but it has grown on me, to the point if I have a repaint at sometime I'll keep the colour, it is part of its history. Terry

Well my wife thinks i should keep the colour, but I'm the chap who'll be riding it. I think you're right about it being past the point where a bit of oil will sort it out.

How long did it take lilac to grow on you?

.....sorry but I don't think that colour will ever grow on me LOL

Sloping crown forks look really nice in all chrome if you wanted to splash out a bit :)

I'm not up on Gran Sport rear mechs but the older one's have a high value for some reason but wonder if your's is a bit "new" to fit into the outrageously expensive category.....

Good choice with the campag record chainset, very period :)

Shaun

Looking good, but IMO that needs a respray. Also IMO, if you are riding the bike and if nobody has good reason to have a strong sentimental attachment to that particular colour, then you should choose the colour/chrome that does it for you.

Re pedals: nice pair of Record pista pedals on ebay at the mo (not mine), but they may get quite pricey. I may have a pair up for sale soon if I split a bike, and they are mid-70s so would go well withe the chainset.

ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnol...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2eba8e7fc7

Nick

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm glad you called it Lilac, there is a constant referral to pink with certain people ! It maybe the attention ( good and bad ) that it gets, that has made me warm to it. The colour, is of course your call completely, and whatever it is, just make sure its done professionally, its worth it. Terry

Those pedals are currently £11 but I bet they sell for much more.

A road bike needs road pedals IMHO :)

Shaun

First bike I bought was a "metallic lilac" British Eagle. I won't hear anything said against the colour, but I can see it wouldn't be everyone's first choice...
Nick

Is that the style of pedals from the mid-70s? I thought they looked different to that.

@Midlilfe, are you suggesting the 70s style clipless death pedals? :shock:

Latest posts

Back