Respray + decals

fabian_lou

Retro Guru
looking for get my cannondale M700 resprayed and new decals. Does anyone know of anywhere that does both? Also, is the frame then resprayed, decals added and THEN a clear coat on top?

Any help at all would be appreciated :?

Louise

Re:

Yeah, Argos cycles seems a bit pricey for me... :(

If I got the frame sprayed elsewhere (somewhere here in Edinburgh) and got the decals from Gil, are the decals something I could do myself? Or do they need a clearcoat put on after?

Argos price for frame and forks including shot blast, colour and clear coat is £155.
Which may seem expensive but they do have a very good rep. Other than in photos I've never seen their work but I've never heard a bad word said about their paint finish. I guess you get what you pay for !?
I think knowing what is involved in the prep paint and finishing £155 isn't so bad in the scheme of things. Some on here would suggest powder coat as a cheaper alternative to paint ... But you'd need to be wary of any rust pitting/ defects on the frame and whether a powder coaters would be sorting any defects before painting.

another option is to do it your self!

Re: Re:

fabian_lou":fehwe3hz said:
Yeah, Argos cycles seems a bit pricey for me... :(

If I got the frame sprayed elsewhere (somewhere here in Edinburgh) and got the decals from Gil, are the decals something I could do myself? Or do they need a clearcoat put on after?

You will 100% need to put something over the decals to protect them.
You could get the frame clear-coated after applying the decals or, if you're a cheapskate like me, I have on occasion simply cut some helicopter tape 1-2mm bigger that the outside of decals before and then stuck that on.
I cut around the outside of the decal, while it's still on its backing sheets (1-2mm bigger) then use the backing sheet as a template for the helicopter tape.
I also did the same thing on my Overbury's as the decals were starting to lift, and I wanted to keep the originals on there....

Re:

I believe gil/retrodecals are a protected decal from the start and design to be stuck on top, not coated over. But check.

Try also Yorvik powder coaters http://www.yorvik-es.co.uk/powder.html if you are up this way, I've NOT used them, but from my emails them seem to know what they are doing more than other.
They will chemically strip/glass bead blast/prep/mask/powdercoat/powdercoat laquer in stock colours easily.
Never asked about decals though.

For metallics, nonestock colours it cost a few quid more.

For what I asked for (an abrubt colour change, nobody else would do this that I asked, only fades) it's into hourly labour changes on top as it's more work.

I assume decals may add an hourly rate on top.

A lot of people just get a cheap powdercoat and stick the stickers on top.

I knowy higher end bikes have them under a top coat and cheaper end are on top.

Latest posts

Back