respray advice

mcobie":2ixajujc said:
Used Bob Jackson August last year. When the bike came back looked uber cool, but after one ride looked sh1te! Paint scratched and chipped really easily!
This is absolutely the point. If you want the bike to be a garage queen, use Argos or Bob Jackson. The finish will be stunning. But I have here a Kilauea, similarly sprayed in enamel, and it must have over 100 paint chips on it that I shall soon commence repairing.

If I ever get a frame resprayed, I won't go anywhere near Argos, I shall definitely have it powdercoated, as that is the only practical option if the bike is going to be subject to wear and tear.

All enamel paint will chip, regardless of who's done it. It will never be as durable as powdercoat but, it does protect the frame better because of the undercoat or so I'm told. Rody has a few good points on this subject if you can find the right thread.

As for them soon getting tatty this means you can then get another pimpy paint job :cool:

It's all depend what you are after, if you want a perfect finish then go for Argos but you will be nervous if you took it for off road and hard riding cos it chip quite easily if a stone hit it, I had my Cannondale done by them, they are very good and the guys are friendly aswell, 2 weeks later after getting it done, I was adjusting my seatpost clamp with a allen key and drop it to the bottom tube near the b/b, a chuck of paint came off :( so I have 3 Kona frames done by powder coating and was impressed the finish, very strong and durable, I will be having my Cannondale done by powder coating this year as I know it will handle the knocks better when going off road.

If you are a garage queen and want the bike to be a showroom aswell light road riding, go for Argos.

If you go off road alot aswell hard riding then powder coating is for this.

Hope this helps

Do gils decals come like regular stickers or are they like on a mounting sheet that you peel of if that makes sense? Are they totally customisable?

Sorry for hijacking(must stop this :oops: )

Nope :p

the decals ive had from Gil are peel/stick type,im not sure if he does the water removed type :?

andy.l":3d3rls3k said:
Nope :p

the decals ive had from Gil are peel/stick type,im not sure if he does the water removed type :?

Andy I'm thinking more like a regular sticker, but has a clear top layer that you remove, leaving just the letters, not a one piece decal. Kinda hard to explain. :? Anyway the Funk's lookin awesome :) Should probably drop him a pm.

Back