Reproduction Rims?

The XC717 are in black (silver rim area) and look fine, though nothing like a 231/230 style. I have them on mine and like them, but it did come with black rims BitD '91/'92 ;) even if all I have ever used with it are silver rims.

The ridge in the middle design can be had Araya VP-20's They show all their profiles on their site, though none are in my fave retro rim (circa '93/'94 anyway) of Araya RM-395 Team look, quality or design :(

Wouldn't be a fan of stickering something up as something it's not. Very much like the idea of retro-styled decals with the correct name/number on, though. I'd be tempted to just desticker and leave plain, though.

Interesting idea.

Depends on exact rim style I guess. Since the 217 looks very much like a 717 then it'd not matter to me (as the self styled king of faux) to sticker the latter as the former. If the rims looked different I'd probably avoid and just remove all decals if it was an issue.

legrandefromage":31r40i21 said:
could always ask this guy for reproduction decals:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cyclomond ... mit=Search

His frame decals are very good quality

Or Gil_M on here.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm sure someone out there is still making rim brake rims that look like old Mavic's or Ritchey's. If I can find them i'll then ask Gil if he'd kindly have a go at the decals. Rims like skin walls are getting rarer, but reckon it is possible to do this.

legrandefromage":lmihstom said:
could always ask this guy for reproduction decals:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cyclomond ... mit=Search

His frame decals are very good quality

They look very good.
Retro roadies seem to make a fuss about having the correct "red foil" Mavic stickers, from before they changed to the current yellow style.

..having said that, when I Ebay'd a few sets of NOS grey anodized tubular rims with the red labels, they sold for next to nothing :roll: Just my luck :roll: :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The DMR Dee Vee's are pretty wide at 32 mm!

Can't think of a Mavic rim that looks like that...

But maybe for an older bike or klunker style bike. :cool:

Back