Replacement fork for Parkpre Pro 825

Boluwd

Dirt Disciple
Grateful for some advice on getting a replacement fork for my 21" Pro 825. I currently have a 2006 Marzocchi Bomber MX Pro SL with front disc brake. Unfortunately, the steerer tube sheared on the fork and was repaired by inserting and bonding a solid alloy stem in the tube by a LBS. It has worked but I have never been confident with the safety aspect of the repair. I'm not even sure if the fork is suited to the frame geometry.
Anyway, the bike hasn't been ridden for best part of 7 years what with house purchase, heart attack and other interests, but mainly fear of the bloody fork and handlebars going their separate ways again.
I need to exercise and the Missus is keen to start riding the bikes again. I want a fork that I can utilize the disc brake and hand built wheel. Any suggestions?

Re:

I guess it all depends on what you are going to be using the bike for, serious cross country or easy fire trail? Do you want to go retro (see http://www.parkpre.com although if you chose this route you won't be using the disc brake) & how much do you want to spend?

For what its worth I have a Trek Y3 full sus with a set of SR Suntour lockout forks 100mm travel I think similar to these......for a similar price....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR-Suntour-XC ... 35ca59ad3f

In fact 80mm of travel would probably better suit the Parkpre geometry.

These forks are factory fitted to bikes up to the £700 mark nowdays & in my opinion give a good ride. Like I said it all depends on what you want but that's my thoughts on the matter, until the next post comes along.......

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks for your reply 1997BlackC5. My riding will be purely recreational, lightweight stuff and commuting. Like I said, I'm recovering from a heart attack and nearly 60!!
To be honest, the only Parkpre in the set up is the frame and some new PFR stuff (seat post and bar ends).
I want to keep the disc brake front and the Suntour fits the bill, and the price is affordable.
For the type of riding I intend to do would a rigid fork be a better bet, like the Kinesis Maxlight XLT (disc compatible)? It's a lot lighter in weight too!

Re:

Yes a rigid fork would be lighter than the Suntour's, but I only suggested the Suntour's because the bike already had Suspension forks, so kinda replacing like for like. The lock out on the Suntour is pretty good, your call. But whatever you go fo for you are keeping another Parkpre on the road. Good luck with it.

Back