Removing rattle can paint

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just picked up a frame on which a large part has been oversprayed with a rattle can. started cutting back the extra paint with t-cut and autosol. Seems to do the job ok but rather time consuming. any other tips?

Try paint thinners, sounds harsh but also buy some panel wipe and apply the thinners 1st, dont rub too hard,then wipe over with panel wipe straight away,this is a degreaser and will remove anything nasty left !! add a bit of polish and your away,sorted.

take a couple of empty jars to your local car body shop...and flutter your eyelids :D :D

or cross his palm with silver, if you think the eyes wont swing it !! :D

kipper.

will both of these cut through the rattle can paint without f*cking up the decent(ish) paint underneath?

i know mine does the same as t cut but with a softer finish and the dremal just makes it quicker  ;)  ;) but the thinners trick might work  :? never tried it myself

John,

are you sure its not been taken back to metal, rubbed down and re-painted? sure you are 100% its just overspray...? as this method WILL remove the top coat !

The thinners will strip it bare if you leave it on, but apply a small amount to a rag and wipe softly to start, the rag will change to the colour being removed but wipe over with panel wipe to remove ALL traces of thinners after.

try it with a finger 1st on the underside,you will soon work out how much pressure is required, easy job but, just take your time ! the old paint will gleam through.

If you are unsure then go for the soft option G3 or G10 cutting paste, very much like t-cut but with more grit/cutting G1 being HARSH G10 FINE.

kipper.

Yeah, sure it's overspray. Bit of elbow grease and some t-cut takes the crap rattle can paint off to reveal the original. Maybe just stick with cutting compund...

The thinners will work, the factory paint is usually baked on, just take your time. A friend recently had his car vandallised and the paint shop did exactly that. Just washed it off with thinners.

ATB

John

Back