Removing powder coat WITHOUT SANDING

It was paint, not powdercoat. I guess the same applies to paint? (This was factory paint on a carbon frame, so could well have been epoxy/2 pack).

A pity this stuff is all not available in Holland. I have found 2 versions of gasket removers and will give these a try, at least one of these claims to be working for epoxy based coatings as well.

I'm having similar problems with powder coat on a kids BMX. Tried Screwfix own paint stripper (it's s**t !), wire brushes, blow torch.... next will be dynamite !!

Might give the gasket stuff a go.

Re:

Aircraft Remover seems to work well from what I remember. Definitely an outdoors type thing with gloves on for protection.

Re:

I've used Starchem SynStryp Paint Stripper on a host of different things including a Hammerite painted frame. It really does just bubble the paint up and off in a couple of minutes.

Whether the general public should be able to get hold of it is a different question, but you can get via Amazon and ebay without any problems.

Follow the instructions about safety and wot not and you should be alright.

I do it outside, wear goggles, gauntlets, a mask and stand upwind while applying it and walk away from the area while it does it stuff. Once it's removed I wash down the parts and dry them. I then just bag them until it's time to repaint.

Re: Re:

paulswheels":3iug9tn2 said:
Aircraft Remover ?

airplane-repo.jpg

....I'll get my coat :)

Before:

After:

Gasket remover works! It works better when the coat is thinner of course so I might sand the black paint down on the right hand side before I attack it with this stuff.

Looks like that came off nice and cleanly...

Yup, scratching the surface (lightly with 80-120 grit) definitely helps to get the solvents deeper into the paint layers, specially if it's a 2 coat like you cranks.

All the best,

Back