Removing powder coat WITHOUT SANDING

bartsince1975

Retro Guru
A search did not help to answer my questions so, I'll open a new post for it. I have a nice CNC crankset, with a very bad powder coat. I want to strip it and give it a nice anodizing finish. So chemicals only for this job, but what to use, does anyone have experience with this?

Re:

Hmm, what I learned from this is don't try this at home. Not the nicest chemicals, I might just as well ask a pro to do it for me.

Some more google searching also pointed to a different brand of gasket remover. This looks like something I could use at home. I'l give it a try. If not, its a pro's job.

Is it a factory powder coat?

If it's a diy bodge, be aware that the top end of powder coating temperatures are the same/similar to the bottom end of aluminum heat treatment temperatures.

No it's diy crappy rattle can job over a factory powdercoat :facepalm: i have no intention of heating it. Thanks for the hint.

I've had success with Wurth gasket remover and also this stuff: http://www.diy.com/departments/home-str ... 572_BQ.prd which is really friendly/non-toxic.

Slap it on nice and thick, wrap with cling film to stop it drying put too quick. Leave for 24 hours and the paint should peel off in rubbery sheets or go just soft enough to scrape off depending on the paint chemistry.

All the best,

I'm no expert on it, but I think it depends on whether the powdercoat has polyester or epoxy based chemistry.

All the best,

Back