Removing mangled limit screw?

Re:

I'd say there is room for a very small torx to hit info the leftovers. When it's in just push hard and loosen it.

I would cut a slot and use a medium size screwdriver.

Use plus gas on it and may be heat being careful not to melt any plastic parts. Try doing it up a bit first to release it.

1.5mm L/h drill bit, drill it out in reverse.
Granted it means buying a drill bit, but if teasing it out with a screwdriver has failed. its what i'd do.

Last one I had to deal with, an aluminum limit screw on a mates bike that had snapped off flush, a pair of needle nose pliers on the back of the bolt got me enough leverage to wind it out. Another stuck bolt I used a soldering iron on full power on the head to melt the thread lock, then a torx driver in the mangled hole to wind it out (actually worked well to wind it in a couple of turns first)

Re:

Needle nose pliers or similar in the part inside parallelogram, turn till you can the head and then grab it from the outside.

02gf74":3f7pxrfp said:
I would cut a slot and use a medium size screwdriver.

Use plus gas on it and may be heat being careful not to melt any plastic parts. Try doing it up a bit first to release it.
Don't use heat.... Heat expands metals, for this you want the opposite

Depends what the combination is. Steel bolt in aluminium body (many shimano and campag mechs). Heat will loosen the bolt. Aluminum bolt in steel plate (newer XTR IIRC) it'll have the opposite effect.

Hammer and trox didn't work, I did get it move 1 full turn before I sheared the off what was left of the bolt head. Going to try and get the needle nose in from the bottom now.

All valid ideas cheers but I'm limited to standard tools, no heat, no power tools apart from the dremel. Might see if dermal do a reverse drill bit if the pliers don't work.

Cheers all.

Back