Removing Mag21 stanchions

Pionir

Retro Guru
Is there a trick to removing the stanchions from the crown?

I tried undoing the pinch bolts but it didn't seem to want to move. Do the top caps with the adjusters need to come off first?

Take the bolts out, then either use a screwdriver or similar to pull them slightly apart (it's easier if the brace is off too so you're not doing each bit by bit). This can mark the crown a bit though.
Or place something in between and screw a bolt back it to get it to create a slight separation.

Re:

Ya - what he said ^, and its much easier if you remove the front wheel first, of course (which I am assuming you have done) ... and you then remove the brace tying the two legs together first, as well.

Thanks. I was trying to do it with the brace on simply because it's a straight steerer swap. Looks like it's more involved than that.

It can be done as a straight swap, opening and pushing them through, but they are as you've found, quite a tight fit :)

To do a neat job without marking the aluminium, use a couple of plastic wedges as commonly used when fitting UPVC doors and windows. The plastic is really strong and can be carefully hammered into the available gap to open it slightly. I did this recently on some Marzocchi forks with good results

focomat 1c":3n7mlgvi said:
To do a neat job without marking the aluminium, use a couple of plastic wedges as commonly used when fitting UPVC doors and windows. The plastic is really strong and can be carefully hammered into the available gap to open it slightly. I did this recently on some Marzocchi forks with good results

Good call. I may even have some of those!

So the verdict on the top nut is leave it on or remove?

Leave the top cap on. It has no bearing on the removal of the stanchions. If I'm rebuilding a fork, I will loosen the top cap first, but leave it on till the leg's out to avoid dirt gettin' in the system.

J

Re:

Certainly don't remove it. They are not wider and they are not in the way.

If you do take them off, you only have to worry about all the oil going everywhere.

To paraphrase Columbo, just a couple more things...

Would you put threadlock on the bolts? If so which one?

I'm actually swapping a Paris Roubaix crown with a Mag 21, and the PR has titanium bolts. Does anyone know the torque? I believe the bolts in the regular mag21 should be 6.8Nm?

Cheers

Back