Record 8 speed left shifter controlling rear mech ?

Quigs Snr

Dirt Disciple
Anyone ever see this before ? I have come across a vitus 797 that seems to have a record/chorus 8 speed mix on it... but weirdly (for me anyway), the left seems to control the rear mech and the right shifter the front ?

Is this a normal thing and I have lived a sheltered life ? Or is this unusual ?

Re:

It's unusual and I reckon someone was trying to be novel (like those who have a fixed wheel transmission on the left).
Campag levers used to be identical left and right - same no. of ratchets in each side. So the front mech wasn't indexed, you just clicked it across freestyle. I'm going to look at my 10 speed choruses and might try the same

Re: Re:

pigman":1tsbcgsx said:
It's unusual and I reckon someone was trying to be novel (like those who have a fixed wheel transmission on the left).
Campag levers used to be identical left and right - same no. of ratchets in each side. So the front mech wasn't indexed, you just clicked it across freestyle. I'm going to look at my 10 speed choruses and might try the same

So you reckon it can be reversed then

Re:

Dunno for sure, try it. Don't think it would work with quickshift or ultrashift tho, but never had them

Back