Recommendations for a really usable retro full sus....

Specialized haven't changed their designs a lot, cheap as chips to pick up and still rated. Late 90's were good, check out the > 98 section for some late 90's inspiration

Another recommendation here for a Marin '97 onwards. Reasonably priced, well specced, easy maintenance and they ride really well.

Re:

Cannondale super v. I rode mine in anger for the first time on Friday and it was more than up to the task

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

What about a Proflex? The 857 I had was more than capable as a full-sus xc trailbike. The 1997 857/957 had coilover shock front and rear, I upgraded mine to a Fox Float rear and more modern air fork up front. Even as standard they give 3" travel and are pretty light even by modern standards.

An old Turner? Horst link four bar design as still used by Specialized and others now, and the DH one they did even has a tenuous link to Kona...

Re:

I have a Cannondale Super V 1000SL that I replaced the Headshok with a Lefty and rear swing arm with one from a Jekyll.
Think it's a very capable bike. You could also fit a normal fork to it with headset reducers.
The bikes I've built for my daughters and building for my wife are late 90's full suspension Marins, Wolf Ridge, Mount Vision, Wild Cat Trail. As my younger daughter grew, I built her the Mount Vision by transferring all the components from the 13.5" c-to-c front triangle Marin frame on to the 17.5" c-to-c Mount Vision front triangle. So there are small frames around if you need one.

Am enjoying a cheap as chips Reynolds 853 Raleigh RSP 300. It actually works and cost double figures.

file.php

file.php

I can't tell you enough about how good this is, and how much I love it. My problem was finding a fork from the same era that could balance the performance, and it couldn't, so I used some later SID World Cup forks as a concession.

6548kw.jpg

That design rear swing arm reminds me so much .......

12XW92_AS01.JPG

:LOL:

I loved the early (failure prone) box and tubular design. I'm 5'11" and rode a 15.5 for over ten years... so chuckable!! ;)

Back