Recommendations for a really usable retro full sus....

Re:

If it has to be retro get one you liked bitd.

If it doesn't, get as modern as you can for the money you've got. Plenty of recent Kona's available for not too much and they'll be better then the old ones. ;)

My do all retro rig. Not exactly light, but will handle anything thrown at it.

ih4.jpg

And for XCish trail riding. The benefits of an AMP/Horst Link rear end but much stiffer.

46e9c941.jpg

Benandemu":1s58fir9 said:
I can't tell you enough about how good this is, and how much I love it. My problem was finding a fork from the same era that could balance the performance, and it couldn't, so I used some later SID World Cup forks as a concession.

6548kw.jpg

It's a design that works, here's Cannondale's version, think they were still making the Prophet in 2008, with the similar Gemini earlier.

CIMG3926.jpg

Re:

I'm hoping my Gazelle will ride as good as it looks, after the resto.

Attachments

• Boulder 3.jpg
    Boulder 3.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 287
Re:

Oh my god, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!! :xmas-big-grin:

Have to admit there are a few suggestions that I hadn't thought of or considered, so thanks very much for all the input.

FWIW am being pulled around to the idea of the Marin simply as I did always like them BITD, 'dale too, but then again I would really love a Rocky Mountain or Heckler. The RSP is an eye opener, but sorry guys have to say I can't see me owning a Proflex, just don't do it for me at all.

Then there's Giant or Trek...hmmm.... :facepalm:

The RSP , like the Marin, used the same frame throughout the range and even NOS frames go for silly money. Avoid the Marin with cro-mo rear end, its just not that nice. And look for cracks on ALL the Marin rear triangles from 97 to 99, mine was replaced at 6 months old - it was a common swap back then by Marin.

legrandefromage":d8l56cu6 said:
The RSP , like the Marin, used the same frame throughout the range and even NOS frames go for silly money. Avoid the Marin with cro-mo rear end, its just not that nice. And look for cracks on ALL the Marin rear triangles from 97 to 99, mine was replaced at 6 months old - it was a common swap back then by Marin.

Oooh, OK, useful warning, thanks! Will keep a look out for the RSP...

Anyone have an opinion on the Giant ATX ebay link I put up....?

Back