Recommend me a Ti Frame with...

mluczkow

Retro Newbie
Hi!

I'm looking for the following, but having a hard time finding:

17" Ti frame, hard tail.
26" wheels
Disc mount frame, not an after thought.
NO INTEGRATED HEADSET. Tapered or 1 1/8" is fine, but no IS. Must have press in cups.

I've got a 2014 Xizang, I love it, it's great, but the IS headset really bothers me.

It seems impossible to find frames that don't have IS headsets, but DO have disc mounts. grrrrr.

Cheers!

You may have a hard time finding that in bikes up to 1997 not many retro bikes had disc tabs as standard as there where not many disc brakes in mass market then, I would suggest you pop along to 2000ish bikes and newer.
Only a few bikes had integrated headsets and tapers where just not used.

I think you are asking in the wrong place.

Geez, one of the things I love about my zaskar reissue is the drop in headset,I think they're brilliant.
Butyeeah as other have said, wrong section, pre 97 ti frames, or any sort of frame is going to be slim pickings (but I guess none of them would have drop in headsets)

Thanks guys,

I would like to find something around 1997/1998ish, but not too much out there.

The salsa looks nice.

I said that tapered would be okay, but not required. I'd prefer 1 1/8", just can NOT have drop in (for those saying I'm posting in the wrong section, please re-read my post).

Basically a 1996ish xizang, but with disc tabs would be perfect.

One other criteria to add: replaceable hanger.

I've been watching ebay for Yeti Arc Ti and Litespeeds of the mid/late 90s for the past year or longer, but not very much pops up in the size I want.

Cheers!!

You're boxing yourself in tbh. Ti frames with replaceable hangers are rare, add in disc tabs on a 96/97 frame and you're reaching a bit.

I'd widen your search criteria a bit. Its also worth considering frames that have had tab's added later. I have a Vit T that someone did that to - rides like a dream.

Also stick a wanted ad up - might get a few frames out of the woodwork.

Re:

Yeah, drop on headsets didn't exist till mid 2000s so you should be fine there nore did tapered.
But then neither did disc mounts much, especially on ti. Not that they didn't, just rare. And xizangs never had them till the new ones recently.
Youre giving yourself a very very narrow windows of stuff to buy.

And drop in headsets are great ;)

Back