Recommend me a 'fast' bike

Re:

Win,

1990 if memory serves, beating Claude Criquelion. Belgian champion. The year before my first Flanders trip, to see Eddy Bosberg win from a break including two Ariostea riders, Golz and Sorensen.

Sorry, as you were

Some great suggestions, not heard of some of them

Mike

jono63 – nice! Be sure to post pics and a ride report when you've built it :)

bm0p700f - thanks for some more examples, I was wondering how old Pinarellos rode being one of the big Italian names.

WimVDD - no problem, always fascinating to read about the history behind people's bikes. Your Del Tongo is perfect.

kingbling":37du6bn6 said:
653 framesets are pretty quick, responsive and compliant my Dave Marsh 653 is a corker

A Dave Marsh in any quality steel tubing will be a "good un". At the time my 24" front wheel Columbus EL tubed Lo Pro left others who rode it gob smacked

beepbeep":v7cqcg41 said:
WimVDD - Your Del Tongo is perfect.

Thanks... but I sold it. Wasn't completely my size, bit too big. But the colour was perfect, hope to have a Nuovo Mexico in those colours one day.

Re:

Montello.

************************/images/montello/blue/3000-jpgs/blue-montello-2.jpg

Re:

+1 for a Pinarello Montello; understated class much like a De Rosa. TBH, I can also vouch for a TSX tubed Concorde (Squadra or Aquilia) and a Klein Quantum as being supremely fast bikes. The latter is absolutely mind blowing for a retro ride (ailbet a little bit harsh).

My latest ride is steel Serotta coupled with a DA 7700 groupset and is probably the best of all of them (but not the fastest (Klein hands down)).

A bike is omly quick if the rider adopts an aero position on it. And that means long rather than just low. If you back gets hunched on the drops you are not that aero. Go for a fram with a long top tube and then fit a long stem.

For example i am 6ft1 my look has 590mm long top tube and i use a 130mm stem with 80mm saddle handlebar drop.saddle to bb for me is 795mm. That is a more aero postion than my sannino for example which has a 4cm shorter top tube a 10mm longer stem but 140mm saddle to handlebar drop. I can ride both bike comfortably but i am a bit quicker on the look.

My klein quantum has me in a similar position to my look that is why that is a quick bike. Kleins are ace.if you want your bike to be quick think about your position carefully. I am not even flexible and can sit in all of my bikes for 200 miles without issue.

Latest posts

Back