Rebuild of 96 Zaskar or Pantera with history.

Twonks

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.

After a bit of help and advice if you would be so good.

I have a HT and FS as main mtb's, and recently sold my road bike as I don't like road riding that much.

However, I plan on making a few rides into work and around a man made lake every so often (Rutland)

Both of my mtbs are too slow and not suited for the ride into work in particular - which is a mixture of tarmac bridleway and smooth double track over 22 miles each way - so I am building up either of the above frames into a rigid tarmac terror.

I originally bought the Zaskar as a full bike with the intention of cleaning it up a bit and getting straight back on, but I have recently got back my original Pantera from my dad as he isn't going to ride it any longer.

Both need some work to get rideable and although I have the bits I'm torn between the nostalgia of the Pantera and the quality of the Zaskar.

I bought the Pantera new back in 1995/6 whenever it was and it was my first real mtb, so holds a lot of memories.

The Zaskar has been hamerited over and I have nearly got it all off but the last few bits are proving to be a nightmare. One option is to get it blasted and powder coated white - which I fancy for some reason.

So the thinking is use the Zaskar and keep the Pantera frame clean and polished with it hung on the garage wall.
Or could build the Pantera and sell the Zaskar as it has no real draw on me.

What do you think - which one shall I build?

15+ yr old pic but still as this apart from RST MOZO Pro forks now on (which will be going)

Zaskar frame -
Was

Is now

Unless you need the money for the build I would keep both frames.
Build either one up as your dream ride and keep the other frame to swap over when you feel like a change.
All the components will fit both so just keep a BB & headset in each and swap over. If you do it often enough it's not a mammoth job as it keeps all the thread moving.

Thanks for the reply.

Don't really need the money as I have all the bits, although space is lacking thanks to bike components :LOL:

Looking at the pictures above makes me realise that the Zaskar red is actually quite a fetching colour and probably deserves some TLC before just recoating it.

I think it could look good cleaned up with fresh decals and black forks.

I envy you your choice! I bought an early Pantera for my son and am looking for a Pantera or Zaskar for me!

I would suggest that since you intend to use either bike as a commuter, which by definition shouldn't look attractive to the sticky fingured, you use the Zaskar frame as is - urban camo if you like and build it up as a rigid flyer!

I thought about leaving it as is and just building it up - in fact it is more or less in exactly that state at the moment.

But - each time I look at it I am slightly depressed as it is a nice bike and deserves to look better (is this a common feeling amongst bike lovers who rebuild old 'loves' :LOL: )

The commute has locked private storage at each end so security isn't an issue and it isn't left anywhere so I'd like to get it looking good, whichever frame I choose.

At the moment I'm thinking of making the Zaskar into a mildly entertaining ride with RST XMO air forks, semi slicks and a set of new V brakes.
Should then be light enough for the commute but capable on light off road if I so choose.

If you have the security sorted then that makes life easier - do the Zaskar justice.

I don't know the forks - I will have a look on here for more info.

Given your primary use have you thought about using a road cluster on the rear and even drop bars?

Very nice.

I'm now thinking of maybe powder coating the Zaskar a nice green or orange and having the forks done black.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Candy-Apple-green.jpg
    Candy-Apple-green.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC0100-150x150.jpg
    DSC0100-150x150.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 379
Hard choice. I think you'll kick yourself if you sell the Pantera because of its history and significance as your first bike. Then again the Zaskar is a Zaskar and it does look damn fetching in the red anno. Hell, I wish my anno looked as good. Personally I'd keep both if you have the space and build them up. I'd build the Zaskar for off road with good parts (XT minimum) and keep the Pantera as your urban assault vehicle. You might be able to get a GT steel fork for the Pantera and have it colour matched or sprayed black would look good too.

dirttorpedo":3rl2qh5x said:
Personally I'd keep both if you have the space and build them up. I'd build the Zaskar for off road with good parts (XT minimum) and keep the Pantera as your urban assault vehicle.

+1, this is the way to go.

Zaskars in ball burnished stylee just look superb but maybe you don't have that option since it is already anodized. Anything that brings out the 'stack of dimes' welds - be it a polished finish or coloured anno in cool 90's flavours is the ticket in my biased opinion. Add a new sticker kit and you'll be set.
Both the Zaskar and Pantera are worthy :)

Back