Wanted Rear wheel for Trek mtb

chickendrumsticks

Senior Retro Guru
For my grandson. The Sram 11t cassette is spinning both ways! It's on a shimano freehub - I'm told it's the freehub at fault (according to local Giant store). All on a Bontrager rear wheel 26". Anyone have a cheap replacement wheel? No tyre or tube needed. I'm in Norwich UK. THANKS
ANDREW
ps it's a disc brake wheel

For my grandson. The Sram 11t cassette is spinning both ways! It's on a shimano freehub - I'm told it's the freehub at fault (according to local Giant store). All on a Bontrager rear wheel 26". Anyone have a cheap replacement wheel? No tyre or tube needed. I'm in Norwich UK. THANKS
ANDREW
ps it's a disc brake wheel
giant store is right, the pawls will be seized with crap and snot.
you can flush it with thin oil or swap the freehub.

Thanks for your quick reply.
Super size idjits seemed to me. Much tooth sucking and head shaking. Right - rant over!
I thought snot etc and squirted WD40 In and around but no change. Would you advise flooding it and giving it some time to work?

I've flooded, tapped etc etc. Not much crap is coming out. There is some play on the cassette I. E. it rocks slightly on the hub. Could it just need tightening, say with chain whip? If not how to remove freehub without removing casette - not possible?

I've done some research. I see I need a Chainwhip and cassette removal tool. And maybe a torque wrench for best - essential?
I'll get those and comeback here again if I can't fix it. And I see freehubs

are readily available if necessary.
Thanks @novocaine too for getting me started! MTB is a whole new world! Especially for a roadie who knows 5 speed blocks etc etc!
I shan't darken those huge people's door again.

to get the cassette off, yep, you'll need both the whip and the cassette tool. better with a breaker bar than a torque wrench though.

there should be some float in the freehub so it's unlikely it needs tightening. to remove the free hub depends on the design (a picture here will help us to diagnose and guide), all will need the axle removing, so cone spanners, allen keys, 17mm spanner will be required depending on the hub. once the axle out the free hub will either fall off (external ratchet) and you'll get access to the ratchet and pawls as the reside in the hub body, or you'll need a specific allen key to remove it (internal ratchet, replace the free hub unless you are feeling brave). these are normally an 11mm allen key from the other side of the hub to the freehub.

Thanks again. Removing the old freehub ( I think it is a 1992 Trek) sounds like the issue, although I have the cone spanners etc as well as allen keys - I hope!
Here's a couple of pics of the hub before disassembly. Probably of not much use at this stage. IMG_20240814_141450.jpg IMG_20240814_141434.jpg
I'll get on and order the bits I need.

That's a far more modern hub than 92. Given its a disc wheel the frames more modern than 92 as well.
It's a cup and cone so it will be an internal ratchet freebody/freehub. 11mm Allen key I suspect, which is an odd size, not in normally sets.
Be warned, it will be tight as a tight thing, normally I put the key in a vice and turn the wheel.

your cassette tool will also do your disk so that's nice as I think you'll need to remove that too to get the axle out.

once it's off you can go hunting for a matching freebody or if you are feeling brave, strip it apart with another special tool and service it, be warned though, there are 20 million tiny Ball bearings in there to go walk about to the darkest corners. :)

I’ve found that you need to get the WD40 in from the back of the cassette area, there is a usually a tiny gap between the freehub and the hub body. The straw usually will fit between the spoke protector and the cassette, I’d give it a good squirt then a spin and leave it cassette side down for a while. I’ve had loads of pawls unstick like this.

Can't find a freehub for love nor money ANYWHERE. And I'm not sure I have the skills / ability to replace it anyway. So I'll try more oil.
BUT I'd really prefer a direct swap wheel.

Back