re-issue parts/bikes

chris667":cy64aw0t said:
The thing is, it's not in the interests of the manufacturers to support old kit. They want you to upgrade.

Modern reissues are generally an attempt to inoke the style of the older kit, as opposed to the function which just isn't as good. People who want to buy a new bike don't generally want faithful reproductions, however misguided that is.

State of the art always changes.

I think that's the nail on the head

Who actually needs to upgrade from an 09 fork to a 2010?..the MTB market does a good job of bombarding us with acronyms and technology to upgrade every year. It's how it keeps afloat.

The thing is, it's not in the interests of the manufacturers to support old kit. They want you to upgrade.

Modern reissues are generally an attempt to inoke the style of the older kit, as opposed to the function which just isn't as good. People who want to buy a new bike don't generally want faithful reproductions, however misguided that is.

State of the art always changes.

+1

I'm still waiting for someone to realize they can make modern skinwall tyres in 26" .

I can't actually say that there is extra much old kit I'd want again - there are lots of nice new wide cantis out there like Tektro Oryx / CR720 or Paul's.

What I want is simple, durable kit - the thumbies would get my vote. I've just moved to 8s bar-ends on Paul's mounts and they are FANTASTIC - really fast and snappy, especially with a 2x8 setup and Campag road front mech.

The other one would be some kind of mid-price single freewheel - it's either £15 Shimano BMX with zero sealing or a £75 one...

It depends on what the part is. I'm all for things like the Selle Italia Turbo reissue: if it's going on a rider (which all my bikes are), I'd rather not have an original NOS, partly because they cost a fortune and partly because it's just going to get scuffed up anyway. You could buy second hand, but I like the having option of not buying a seat that's had someone else's arse on it for 20 odd years.

send the thanks to harryburgandy , he showed me them ages ago .

I personally use a ACS claw because I can get the decent ones for a tenner and I've never had one skip , one did seize but hub deep water for a week was mostly to blame .

I know carl was using one of the nicer ones for a while and I think he rated it .

The big difference will be the extra engagements , you will feel quicker . As for seals I expect the greater tolerance will stop most of the dirt getting in , the shimanos are very poor quality .

I don't agree that the original company should make exact replicas. What if Michaelangelo could be resurrected and started painting new versions of his paintings for anyone to buy? What if Porsche started remanufacturing exact copies of the 550 Spyder? Etc. What happens to the value of original versions and the folks that held onto them or worse, paid top dollar to get an original only to have the remanufactured versions pop up?

For functional need items - bottom brackets, brake shoes, tires, etc. - some entrepreneurial type could, I'm sure, make the investment and start selling to RB types. This happens in the automotive industry all the time with air filters, tires, etc. Maybe not enough demand to justify up front costs?

Personally, I think things should stay as-is i.e. RB enthusiasts have to hunt (and hunt and hunt ;) ) to find the one of a kind items to build up a bike that can't be easily replicated vs. being able to shop at any local LBS and create a "NOS" 1995 Klein Nightstorm Adroit with M900, Grafton Speed Controllers, Onza Porcupine tires. :D Where's the fun in that? After all, isn't that the process for buying any of today's hard-tails or full sussers and look at all the complaints on here lodged against those bikes. :p

Well, we have seen [not 100% original in most cases, modern eqivelents]

re issue smoke/dart recently - look 100% same as original blackwalls.

Anniversary re issue DB team bike.

Orange have done a few, Prestige, Clockwork etc..

Breezer Lightning/Thunder for 2010

I emailed Raleigh with Sinnett's Raleigh Team Dyna-Tech thread! I was told thast it was discussed by the product managers [by a guy from Corratec I met on the Chase] so who knows?

I also tried to buy a 2010 Salsa a la Carte but could not get any info... so I emailed Salsa directly. They are still working on it due to new CEN standards, so I suggested they do a re issue 'Jelly Bean' A la Carte. They were quite stoked by the idea so maybe we will see this from Salsa... Remember where you heard this first eh

;)

Cheers,

Chaser

the only problem is volume, shimano could only do what they did due to volume, you need to do runs in the hundreds of thousands to even get the price near a reasonable figure. but with that said and desktop printing become more of a reality, for some parts there's no reason you couldn't just about print your own..

take the yeti peace hanger, that would be an easy item to replicate via cnc, a full bb or rear mech would be a nightmare. we really take for granted some of the tolerances some of these companies work to, the the industrial machines that produce these wonders seemingly cheaply.

assembling service kits might be the way to go tho, like break away bolts, and replaceable hangers, just the right kind of parts to replace to get the rest of the item back up and running might be the way to go.

Im not sure why they got rid of skinwalls, any one like to explain?

Back