road Bike of The Month
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Welcome to RBotM for July 2024 - Open Month - so open to all!

Enter now, all welcome.
Usual rules apply, one entry per member consisting of two photos, a short paragraph or so description, a link to more information, be it a webpage or reader rides page etc. Will be open until the end of the month then a five day poll to decide the winner.
Best of luck
Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

I’ll go first if it’ll get a few more entries out of the woodwork.

Tomianson’s Cinetica Giotto 1988/1989 I think

This has been in my family since new, it’s absolutely original, down to its original tyres. I’ve just given it a quick rebuild and clean. Ultra rare and very lovely IMHO

Build thread here https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/cinetica-giotto.464553/

IMG_8177.jpeg IMG_8180.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s an old BSA frame, fork, stem, headset, Bayless Wiley BB and Williams chainring and crank. The chainring is 1 inch pitch and the crank arms are threaded for 1/2 inch pedal spindles. The frame came with this stuff, along with three coates of paint. It was originally blue. The rest of the parts came from my parts stash. It’s a tribute to a 1920s fixed gear bicycle. IMG_0608.jpeg

88/89 I think.
The year should be correct. I believe '88 was the first year they were made. Note: they had issues with breaking, not sure of the circumstances surrounding the problem. One problem nowadays even with more "modern" (20 to 25 yrs old) CF frames is delamination. One would think older CF frames, depending on manufacturing techniques, would be more susceptible to aging problems regarding deterioration of the bonding agent, etc.

Regardless, nice original bike. I know I would have to take it out for at least one ride.

The year should be correct. I believe '88 was the first year they were made. Note: they had issues with breaking, not sure of the circumstances surrounding the problem. One problem nowadays even with more "modern" (20 to 25 yrs old) CF frames is delamination. One would think older CF frames, depending on manufacturing techniques, would be more susceptible to aging problems regarding deterioration of the bonding agent, etc.

Regardless, nice original bike. I know I would have to take it out for at least one ride.
Interestingly, the issues they had with breaking weren’t the frames. The moulds cracked and were never repaired/remade. That’s why there are so few of the bikes. They just stopped making them after the moulds broke.
And secondly, the paint is from Ferrari and relatively thick. It’s the car paint. There are some instances of the paint cracking, but no frames breaking as far as I know.

I’ll go first if it’ll get a few more entries out of the woodwork.

Tomianson’s Cinetica Giotto 1988/1989 I think

This has been in my family since new, it’s absolutely original, down to its original tyres. I’ve just given it a quick rebuild and clean. Ultra rare and very lovely IMHO

Build thread here https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/cinetica-giotto.464553/

View attachment 869231View attachment 869232
that vestigial (non) seat tube is certainly a curiosity - good for an impromptu game of quoits too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back