Rascal Owners club !

rascal2.jpg

its for sale too..

my new rascal !!

check out my new rascal !! allthough i have only just sent payment, so it will probobly be another few weeks before i get it!! ............

Attachments

• IMG_2404.JPG
    IMG_2404.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 5,748
Seat tubes

The extended seat tubes tended to crack and put excessive pressure on the top tube/set tube weld, so a lot of folks took an inch or so off the tube andthen machined a new inverted key hole slot into the the tube to prevent this, the mod works very well, but doesnt quite keep it original, however better than a broken frame!!

Re: Seat tubes

Wold Ranger":3ufv06d4 said:
The extended seat tubes tended to crack and put excessive pressure on the top tube/set tube weld, so a lot of folks took an inch or so off the tube andthen machined a new inverted key hole slot into the the tube to prevent this, the mod works very well, but doesnt quite keep it original, however better than a broken frame!!

so would you then have to use a seat clamp ? as opposed to just a QR

Seat clamp

Yep works fine. Interestingly captive seat clamps all put a lot of uneven stress on a seat tube and usually knacker the seat post too, with too much pressure at the pinch point. Some manufacturers are now going back to these :( A seperate clamp applies even pressure all around the tube on the post so much much better!!

Re: Seat tubes

Wold Ranger":1qjik250 said:

that was the fix when the seat post clamp was cracked but i've not heard of anyone doing that before it cracked. and the crack was usually a combination of not enough seat post insertion (or riding a too small frame with a too long seat post) AND overtightening the clamp (or using an undersized seat post). i see absolutely no need to modify the frame if it is still inctact. have at least 1" of seat post below bottom top tube and do not overtighten the clamp - be especially careful when using a qr skewer - and it should be fine like plenty of uncracked old frames prove.

Carsten

seat clamp mod

It's still a poor design on the original Kleins, as the unbraced length of seat tube will be prone to stress with a proper sized bike, as a good length of seat post xposed will naturally flex the aluminium to the point of fatigue and any bike with a captive clamp is placing uneven pressure on the seat post at the pinch point, whereas a seperate clamp places much more even pressure all around the tube. This is even with ample seat post still inserted.

chers for that guys, to be honest i dont think i will be taking a hacksaw to it unless it breaks !! does my new 91 rascal have an extended seat tube longer than my 92 rascal ? or did the design stay the same ?
cheers andy

Back