Raleigh winner

paddington35

Dirt Disciple
While I was working on the aende the wife asked if I would like another bike to restore well I thought I jump at the chance,the bike was advertised on Facebook for £25 just needed tyres pumping up,so I went look at it and I now a proud owner of a Raleigh winner with the wife's approval :D .So got it home stripped down the bike frame has a few minor scratches, it has Sachs Hurst front and rear mechs,the frame doesn't need a respray so its going to clean all the parts up and rebuild it,I tried it with a set of modern wheels which has a shimano cassette not sure if it will work with the rear mech?well here she is:

Regards
Marc
2011 cube aerial
1990s aende
Raleigh winner

What speed cassette on the new back wheel?

If you go 7 cogs you can pick up a cheap Shimano Tourney dérailleur for about a tenner, and some indexed downtube shifters for about £12. New chain about £6. You'll want the derailleur to be the right capacity though, and the gear specific outer cable.

I don't know if winners had standard or raleigh spec parts. So probably best just to clean and grease the bottom bracket rather than replace them.

Should build up to a pretty comfortable riding bike.

Was using them on my cube but upgraded the wheels I was running a ten speed cassette the free wheel will only take 8,9 or 10 speed,the original wheels are 700 x28c and are chrome but they are rusty and heavy, want to freshen the bike up.

Regards
Marc
2011 cube aerial
1990s aende
Raleigh winner

10 speed wheels can take a 7 with a 4.5mm spacer

If you go for more than 7 you'll start to find shifting with a friction shifter more difficult.

If you plan on using that Sachs Huret Eco S rear mech, you might find it doesn't have the 'range' for more than 6 speeds

My Shimano 105 is struggling with 6, even on friction shifting!

Change of plan just got some mavic module e2 wheels with tyres and tubes and a 5spd block of eBay for £15 they just need cleaning up and one spoke replacing,hoping to have bike rebuilt by weekend.

Regards
Marc
2011 cube aerial
1990s aende
Raleigh winner

Re:

My kind of bike :D , not expensive, unpretentious and does what it says on the tin.

Well finished the bike this morning only thing left to do is true the wheels,the back I managed to true myself but could do with a bit more tweaking and front one could do with more tweaking to,all new gear and brake cables and handlebar tape,I have polished the alloy parts to a mirror finish,but I'm now buying another bike in a larger frame so the wife has told me this one has to go or I don't get the other bike,so just wondering how much it is worth?heres some pictures.[/URL
[URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/ycs3euk/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-06-28-143217_zpsodaobf6j.jpg.html]
. http://i224.photobucket.com/

Regards
Marc
2011 cube aerial
1990s aende
Raleigh winner

Re:

Used wet n dry sandpaper then used autosyl metal polish did all by hand spent a full day just polishing all the parts,just been out for a spin on it absolutely loved it.

Regards
Marc
2011 cube aerial
1990s aende
Raleigh winner

Latest posts

Back