Raleigh 'Team Colours' bike spec?

passatman

Dirt Disciple
I've heard on the grapevine about a bike someone has, they saw my Team Burner and mentioned that they had a racing bike in the same colours.

I didn't ask too much, and didn't want to seem too keen, but did they do a povo spec bike AND a high spec bike too?

Similar to this.....

raleigh-756146.png

:)

I think there were a few variations on this one. The cheaper adults' version made of 18-23 high-tensile steel can easily be distinguished by its ovalised frame tubing (there was a version for younger riders which used round 18-23 tubes), but I think from memory there might also have been a slightly superior Reynolds 501 version with round tubes and mudguard eyes.

There were definitely much higher-specced 531 and 753 frames made to order at Ilkeston, with the 531 version being sold as a complete bike.

Here's a useful link:

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Raleigh84/

David

Hi,

follow the link "Raleigh Cadet" at the bottom of this post. There are a number of links within that post which will help you understand the history of this bike, and paint scheme.

It is Raleigh "Panasonic" c 1984/6. Your pic is the entry level bike, but there were bikes made in exotic tubing like 531, 735 etc. There were, as you suggest, Burner BMX in that colour, as well as some Mixte's.

It is, in my veiw, one of the nicest colour scheme's ever produced

You could also do a web search for Peter Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Post

He was the race team mangager at that time.

Dave

Thankyou gentlemen, I have set the ball rolling and have sent a message to express my interest. I'm hoping that it may be a decent spec, the fella who owns it doesn't do 'cheap' if you know what I mean.

Fingers crossed, and I'll keep you updated :)

What spec is the one you are looking at? The one in the pic at the top is entry level. My one of those cost 7.50 UK pounds, but did need some work and a good clean.

Good luck,

Dave

I'm not sure at all what it is, a friend called last night and said that he'd just moved one for his boss 'the same colour as that' (pointing at my Team Burner), I'm awaiting some pics and the spec, and then hoping he will sell me it......it was stored in a container, and has been there for years!

Back