Raleigh storm with a few questions

am4nf

Dirt Disciple
Picked this up today, needs a lot of work, looks like it's been sitting outside but the frame is decent

Questions: 1.would it be a shame to paint the frame?
2. Would it be a crime to change the front forks to shocks?
3. Does anyone know how I can find out what year it is?
4. Lastly just checking it's worth fixing?

Attachments

• IMG_7808.JPG
    IMG_7808.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_7809.JPG
    IMG_7809.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_7805.JPG
    IMG_7805.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_7806.JPG
    IMG_7806.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 233
It's a fairly bog standard bike, not worth much so do what you like with it. I'm not familiar with this particular model but I sold plenty of these types of Raleighs in the early to mid 90's so I'd guess it's from around then.
You'll find much more worthy of restoration on here in the sales section or on eBay tbh.

This didn't cost me anything.... thought I'd have a play about with it, thinking tan tyres or maybe just walls, tan grips, seats etc

Also thinking of painting it a metallic copper

I agree with DynaCol 100%. Get something made with 501, like the very tidy (and very purple) Mirage that sold for £35 on this very site today. Raleigh's "Hi-Ten" bikes are pretty lifeless to ride in comparison to entry-level Reynolds. But any old Raleigh can be fun..

The frame decals should have some reference to the frame materials somewhere- and the model is another clue..
All the big tube manufacturers- Reynolds, Tange, Columbus, True Temper etc have distinctive logos that can usually be found on the seat tube. Raleigh used Reynolds tubes because they both belonged to the Tubes International (TI) group.
Of course, to tell for sure you'll need access to an electron microscope. But there aren't a lot of forgers working on old bikes.

The frame is typical of Raleigh's entry level bikes used on the Mustang, Lizard and Nitro (just a few I can remember). All were hi tensile steel and built to a price point of around £100 - 175ish. I built and sold hundreds of these when I worked at two Raleigh dealerships in the 90's, they changed the names over the years but essentially the frames were the same.

Il have a look tomorrow see if i can see any other stickers, but yeah it didn't cost me anything so il have a play about with it, gears etc are all knackered so I don't mind stripping this down

Back