Raceface headset!

I’d already checked with owner before posting if they mistakenly left the crown race on the fork which they hadn’t.

It’s in really nice condition so really want to find a way to use it!

Has anyone tried running a different brand of race crown to the original or is this asking for trouble?

I’ve just tried a couple of random Races and as you say the taper has the match the bearing.
Incidentally of the ones I did try, the worst problem was the diameter of the taper not matching the bearing (too small) so not making contact.

So definitely quite the double trouble yet somehow I’m oddly not deterred 🤣

Having said that if anyone has another headset that I could use for parts that’d be great, blind optimism, I do that as well!

some forks (esp carbon ones) have the crown race as a built in, non removable feature (usually set at 45 degrees)
could that be what is going on here?

admittedly only seen this on much newer stuff!

I've got a bag of crown races kicking around if you have a vague notion of what the correct one looks like.

I can try to measure the diameter of tapered part, I also will try the race from another Rf headset to see if the angle of the taper is similar

Remind me later - I'll grab my headset out and check/photo the crown race so you know what it looks like.

So this is what it should be. The seal fits really snug on the crown race so I’m reckoning it’s a very specific part to fit everything correctly unfortunately

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg