Questions about Shimano 105 R7000 11s mechanical

Anything but Shimano tbh, I don't just say this to be pedantic.
I used to fit Shimano XT/Ultegra chains all day on new builds back in the noughties. I bought a genuine new Shimano 11sp chain a few years back thinking I couldn't make a better choice & the thing was so rattly & noisy straight away. Even after cleaning & re-lubing it was just the same.
Now plenty of my riding buddies agree.

Can't go wrong with (genuine) KMC or SRAM. That it what I fit to my own bikes. 7sp - 11sp.
Same here

I’ve had good results with XT/ Ultegra level 11 speed chains and continue to keep using them. The last kmc I had wore out in 500 miles so I’ve always stayed away since.

But …. 12 speed ultegra is so noisy after the first 1000 miles. Shows no stretch but shifting has gradually got worse that at the end of the season it’ll be swapped.

CRC is less likely than aliexpress, an unknown trader on ebay or amazon, but Crc bought a lot of grey import stuff and were endlessly pushing down on prices for huge orders.

It could be a bit like the tesco burgers that contained horsemeat - you can be sure the buyers thought they were getting what they'd asked for, but continual price pressure encouraged the supplier to find a cheap option.

I'm sure there are fake shimano chains out there, and as a rule if a shimano part doesn't work like you expect, something is amiss.

I've never had a customer say a shimano chain is noisy (from madison, the UK shimano distributor, definitely genuine) although I'll start asking around.

Last edited:
Plenty of fake shimano packaging evident in many online listings imo. I've had some fake shimano SPD SL cleats in the past, soon as I had them in my hand I could tell they weren't like all the others I've had.

Thinking about it, this is the first time I've used a Shimano chain for quite a while. 🤔

At one point I had three bikes and I had Campagnolo 9 speed chains on all of those, even though two of the bikes were only 7 speed. It all worked and I didn't have any shifting issues and I don't remember them being noisy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Wipperman/Connex chains?

CRC is less likely than aliexpress, an unknown trader on ebay or amazon, but Crc bought a lot of grey import stuff and were endlessly pushing down on prices for huge orders.

It could be a bit like the tesco burgers that contained horsemeat - you can be sure the buyers thought they were getting what they'd asked for, but continual price pressure encouraged the supplier to find a cheap option.

I'm sure there are fake shimano chains out there, and as a rule if a shimano part doesn't work like you expect, something is amiss.

I've never had a customer say a shimano chain is noisy (from madison, the UK shimano distributor, definitely genuine) although I'll start asking around.

My 12 speed came as a full groupset from the same place as I got my frameset and wheels so I’m pretty confident it’s legit. Small boutique bike shop not a large online retailer.

It's a lot cheaper for a retail shop to buy shimano groupsets grey than off madison.
You can often sell them at less than the trade price of UK stock.

Id still expect some checks and balances, but as a rule as the price gets lower, the checks get fewer

Back