Puzzled about Peugeot.

peteb1962

Dirt Disciple
Can anybody help me identify this Peugeot that I picked up as a partly rebuilt bike?

Frame number: Y1075250 (also has X6 stamped on the BB)
Frame size and weight: Seat tube 56, Top tube 55, 1860g without forks. Forks 682g
Seat tube internal diameter: 26.4mm
Running gear: All Shimano 1050 date stamped between 1986 and 87.
Colour: Was a sort of metallic violet.

All the clues seem to suggest that it is a Peugeot (Atax stem, Guidon handlebars, Simplex seatpost and bolt), but I just can't seem to find the model in any brochure.

Can anybody help me please?

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,211
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,209
  • IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,209
are there any traces of pink on it ? looks very much like the Athena colours which were pink and violet, would have with campag to start with thou.

Re:

Hi, I can't see any pink as most of the paint was already stripped. I did originally think it was an Athena 653, but couldn't be sure. Does the frame number give any clues?

All the lugs and profile look very similar, but it came with an almost complete 105 (1050)groupset (including BB and headset) which would imply that it was originally fitted.

Does the weight of the frame help?

Cheers Pete

Re:

Certainly looks like Peugeot but don't have access to catalogues from 1991 (Miami Jim's site seems to have disappeared, sadly). Extra details include chain peg, pump peg on head tube, small holes on inside of forks (top and bottom) and on underside seat and wheel stays near drop outs.

In terms of weights, my 2 Peugeot 753 frames and forks weigh 1747 and 1797 and 669 and 695 respectively, and that's with chrome on the forks and parts of the frame, both 58 cm. I have a 531 Pro that weighs 1961 and 704 and that's 56 cm, again with various parts chromed. Don't have weight for my 653 Athena from 1990 but will be similar to 753, and this has the brake cable guides underneath the top tube, like yours.

So, unless one of the Columbus frames they made at the time, would agree is probably 531.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks for your views.

Its a mystery. The weight is a bit heavier my Bonavia 57cm 531c frame and a bit lighter than a 531 Holdsworth 56cm frame. The way the bb was a little corroded and seized, would suggest it was original (maybe) and that is dated coded 1987. All the other parts are also first generation Shimano 105 from between 1986-87. I just can't for the life of me find anything with lugs and cable guides under the top tube in any of the catalogs before about 1991.

It does look like a Perthus, an Athena or even and Altus and it is lightweight tubing. The colours look a little wrong a the colour that has been properly stripped is a metallic violet and has a white base coat.

I am doing it up for a friend, and she does not want it fully restored with decals, but she does like the violet colour. So it will be a decent lightweight bike that will remain a mystery I think.

Back