Problems with Shimano BL 1050 Brake Levers, Please Help!

loughgill

Retro Newbie
I have these levers on my road bike, which is vintage more due to affordability/circumstance as I got it from my sister than a particular knowledge of/enthusiasm for vintage, hence my maintenance/problem fixing knowledge is seriously deficient.
Something was coming loose meaning that the lever could wobble in multiple directions and the top part of the mechanism was coming away from where it is attached to the handlebars. The first time I just got some help to tighten it more with allen key, but happened again after only another 150km so think there's a weakness somewhere. The local bike shop wasn't able to replace them as they only have modern brake levers with integrated gearing. He said the treads weren't worn on the brake levers so wasn't sure what the problem was, but put some loctite on it before tightening and said should hold better now.
However, just realised tonight that the brake levers have been put back in the wrong position on the handlebars, but I presume I can't adjust them now that the loctite would probably make it difficult to loosen the brake levers to move them?
Questions - 1. is it possible to ignore the loctite and try to loosen the levers without damaging anything further, or to get the loctite off even though it is in an inaccessible position?

2. What set up could I use to replace the BL 1050 Brake levers? They are 'non aero', but if it is possible to switch to using aero easily and cheaply wouldn't necessarily object.

I'll be doing a lot of sportives this summer, some of which have very steep descents so I really want the brakes to be in good shape. Would be really grateful for a response.

Thanks

You should be able to undo the bolts without too much trouble, and the Loctite should still do its job when you tighten them again.

I personally hate them but there is no reason why you shouldn't fit aero levers. I think you would have to replace the brake cables and the bar tape, and put up with a big lump in the bar tape but most people don't seem to mind that.

Re:

Thanks for link but think if I'm going to buy something would prefer new or new old stock for peace of mind as otherwise don't know if they are any more or less worn than what I have. Last time the brake failed was coming down a mountain road and it was very lucky it was the front that failed and I still had the back, but if it had been the other way around I imagine I might have gone over the handlebars as I would have been still pulling the front.

If I get more non aero similar to what on it at the moment, would I still have to replace the cabling or is that only if switching to aero?

Thanks

Back