Problems with LX shifters

Woodie

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
I'm having a few problems with both the front and rear LX 9sp shifters on my 98 Rockhopper. For some reason, in either case the up shift thumb lever doesn't seem to be engaging to execute the shift. The front shifter will engage after a while and with a few wiggles of the lever, the rear will engage at the second click, so having to push a long way to get a single shift
Looking inside the pods it, they seems to be nothing wrong, but in use it feels like the palls aren't connecting with the teeth of the cog to pull the cable.
Is this just wear, of is it likely to be something like a loose fastening?

Cheers,
Iain

Woodie":2og6eu24 said:
Hi all,
I'm having a few problems with both the front and rear LX 9sp shifters on my 98 Rockhopper. For some reason, in either case the up shift thumb lever doesn't seem to be engaging to execute the shift. The front shifter will engage after a while and with a few wiggles of the lever, the rear will engage at the second click, so having to push a long way to get a single shift
Looking inside the pods it, they seems to be nothing wrong, but in use it feels like the palls aren't connecting with the teeth of the cog to pull the cable.

Cheers,
Iain

chances are its wear. The bushing in those sieze up quite often. Unfortunatly its a Shimano product and there really is no way to overhaul it. your best chance however is a lubricant its a moly dri film lubricant called Bike Aide. its your best bet.

harryhood":37ld0163 said:
Woodie":37ld0163 said:
Hi all,

Cheers,
Iain

chances are its wear. The bushing in those sieze up quite often. Unfortunatly its a Shimano product and there really is no way to overhaul it. your best chance however is a lubricant its a moly dri film lubricant called Bike Aide. its your best bet.

We use that in the shop to save old Shimano sti levers. its only a temp fix but it will keep things working a little longer. You should try it.

I had exactly this problem and found that when I stripped them down, tiny pieces of grit & dirt were sitting in the ratchet, causing the pawls to skip. A quick clean with a toothbrush & squirt with WD-40 and all was well again. A possibility?

THat's great guys. thanks a lot. I'll try the stripping and WD40 solution, and look for some Bike Aide.
The only thing that worries me about using this is the fact that I might get Chris Martin, Bono and Richard Curtis knocking on the door to offer support for something with a name that has "Aide" at the end of it :shock:

Back