PRESTA valve size hole standard on quality rims?

bm0p700f":1p4gbmhu said:
Well if schreader valves can take 10,000 psi then I have learnt something new today.

But these are not the sort of valves you would find on a car or bicycle tube. They are solid milled stainless steel with fancy valving.

My life is this thread still going.... :shock:

schraeder = low pressure but lots of volume

Presta = high pressure low volume

given the length of this thread I understand you will not get your head around this ...so a simple demonstration is in order...go outside with your track pump your car tyres only take 1.9 bar hardly much you might think until you hook up the track pump which will get wrecked in our simple demonstration :roll:

Thank you and goodnight :LOL:

oldslalomskier":si1eaw67 said:
bm0p700f":si1eaw67 said:
Well if schreader valves can take 10,000 psi then I have learnt something new today.

But these are not the sort of valves you would find on a car or bicycle tube. They are solid milled stainless steel with fancy valving.

Well yeah, but they are still Schrader. The ones on your average mtb inner tube won't hold 10,000 PSI but they don't have too, they only have to hold 60PSI max. I bet the tube, tyre and or rim will fail long before the Schrader valve. Are the ones on my rockshox that hold in 180PSI milled stainless steel with fancy valving? Or just good quality? Continental and Schwalbe Schrader tubes have nice looking (stainless?) valves that are threaded all the way down and have the lock ring just like a Presta.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/produ ... G10430.jpg

The Wolber AT18's on my Butler are Schrader, probably the best set I have. Think the Campag Zarks I have spare are also schrader.

Carl.

oldslalomskier":1ktx8x3t said:
Yeah, the ones on Fox and Rockshox forks are specially made. Try replacing one.

Still Schrader though :LOL:

So basically what we've established is they fit valves rated to the pressures that the product is inteded for. A 2.1 mtb tube is only ever going to see 60PSI. A road bike tyre will see twice that. It doesnt mean they have to go to Presta to handle the higher pressures does it. I have some thin Shcrader valve tubes on my 1.25 slicked up roadie mtb and they are running at 100PSI.

Schraeder valves obviously rule because they don't confuse girls, unlike Presta and Dunlop

:LOL:

ok sorry for that, it was only based on... erm experience! In all honesty though, I've never known a Schraeder valve to fail, bend or cause a split in a tube as I have with Presta. And they can, as mentioned, take high pressures... However, Presta are better for scaring cats as the deflation is more dramatic.

Back