PRESTA valve size hole standard on quality rims?

Road bike presta, MTB schrader, job done.

Whenever I get a MTB rim with a narrower hole I attack it with the right size drill bit and put the proper sized innertube. Presta is too fragile for MTB I have found. I have a road pump and a MTB pump so no issues there.

And schrader can take high pressures. My Flatland BMX used to run 140+ psi pressure on the schrader valve, no problems.

For the sake of practicality I like my rims drilled for Schrader but always carry Presta-valved spare tubes - this way you can always help out someone with a flat, and if you don't have a spare tube whatever anyone else has will fit your rim. I've never seen a rim fail around the valve hole - cracks around spoke holes from improper tensioning are 1000 times more common, and don't forget Pro-class BMX and cruiser wheels - those things had big holes between every spoke.

proclassnos.jpg

one-eyed_jim":1g2a309k said:
pete_mcc":1g2a309k said:
what do you expect from a boat trailer company.
Que?

:?

Amongst many other things that the company made before they eventually got into bikes they used to make trailers. They also made a kiddy trailer called the Bugger, can't think why it didn't take off in this country.

pete_mcc":3by0603w said:
Amongst many other things that the company made before they eventually got into bikes they used to make trailers. They also made a kiddy trailer called the Bugger, can't think why it didn't take off in this country.
I know about the little Bugger.

As far as I know, Cannondale began as an outdoor luggage company, making backpacks and bicycle panniers, and bike trailers. Later on they made workstands, and bike racks for cars. I've never heard of a Cannondale boat trailer. Got a link?

terryhfs":afui8xyk said:
Schraeder doesn't cope well with high pressures, the heat generated can make the mechanism distort.

pete_mcc":afui8xyk said:
Name a few good rims which take Schraeder? No thanks, I'll leave them for cheap, shitty bikes. Presta every time.

Cheap and can't handle high pressure!!! That's not entirely accurate is it.....

.......The Schraeder valves on my £500 Rockshox take 180 PSI with no problems and look pretty tasty too. Moving things on a little further, at work we use Schraeder valves on the hydraulic accumulators fitted to the Subsea Control Modules we supply to the offshore industry. Typically a control module will cost between a quater and half a million pounds and the operating pressure of said Schraeder valves is 690 bar (yes bar), that's over 10,000 PSI :shock: . So there's not much wrong with Schraeder valve technology.

On a road bike Presta valves make more sense as they are ligher and being thinner makes them better suited to deep v section rims. On an MTB though I'm not sure why they're used. The difference in hole diameter will have a negligble effect on rim strength and as for quality rims that are drilled for Schraeder, well, try every Mavic MTB rim I've ever encoutered.

Back