PRESTA valve size hole standard on quality rims?

Cars don't use Presta because the narrow stem would make getting the volume of air required in a slow process. Not sure if you've noticed, but car tyres tend to be a bit bigger. Schraeder doesn't cope well with high pressures, the heat generated can make the mechanism distort.

My Mavic's have a plastic shim in them so i can fit either type :D

What I use:
tube7.jpg

srands":31pxq3g1 said:
Why have 2 different valve types, when schrader car type valves are the obvious choice/standard?

Your logic in every one of these threads is as bizarre as your formatting - why are car valve types the obvious standard? Surely car valves have been designed for cars whereas presta valves were designed for bikes. Presta are narrower and mean that they don't require a huge, weakening hole in a narrow rim, unless you are using shitty steel rims. Presta valves are less prone to clogging or breaking on the road or trail, they don't need to have valve caps on and you are able to tighten the valve to the rim using the knurled nut to help reduce the chance of the valve head ripping off and they are better designed for the high pressures in bike tyres (try pumping your car tyre to 120psi).

Name a few good rims which take Schraeder? No thanks, I'll leave them for cheap, shitty bikes. Presta every time.

pete_mcc":3hkm4skk said:
Name a few good rims which take Schraeder? No thanks, I'll leave them for cheap, shitty bikes. Presta every time.

Woah harsh.... my shitty cheap '91 Klein Dolomite runs Schrarders on Araya RM-20 rim and my even shitter '91 Cannondale SM800 runs the same valves on a set of Ritchey Vantage Comps :shock:

Just because the rims are drilled for them doesnt mean you have to use car valves, you can easily swap those inner tubes for more sensible ones that are designed for the job in hand.

From 1990 Kleins were catalogued with presta, showing what a wise man and quality engineer Mr Klein was. As for Cannondale, well what do you expect from a boat trailer company.

I'm really bad at this, keep forgetting to put these in otherwise people get arsey:

;) and :LOL:

pete_mcc":k4as0482 said:
what do you expect from a boat trailer company.
Que?

:?

Most of my mountain bike rims will take a Schrader valve, and I like it that way. If I ever get stuck for a spare tube, I can borrow either type. As far as I remember, the one mtb rim in my collection that won't take a Schrader is a 40h Sun Rhyno Lite, and I'll drill that out when I get around to it.

On the other hand, I always buy presta tubes, given the choice. Road bikes never use schrader valves, and as I ride both road and mountain I prefer not to have to mess around switching the pump head from one to the other. A schrader-presta pump adapter lives in my puncture repair kit for emergencies.

Back