Power coating near Northampton?

Gregolas

Devout Dirtbag
Ive been shopping around for somewhere local to take my '95 Lava Dome and forks for powder coating.
Including stripping the old paint & surface rust, powder coat, applying new decals and a coat over the top to protect them, they're all coming back at about £150.

Can anyone recommend somewhere reliable for less? I can post if needed.

Oh dear......possibly of no use to you but I use a company called Powder and Paint just outside York and he charges £30 per frame inc the initial strip and frame prep, probably £40 with the forks. No clear-coat involved but........I got my decals off gil_m on here. You could ring them about a clear-coat and send a pic of how you want the decals aligning (assuming you'd send them with the frame and trust him to get it right!). What's the worst he can say...? Alternatively consider having them do the basic job and do the decals and clear-coat at home?

He did A1 jobs on an Explosif, a Lava Dome and an Orange P7 for me.

Good luck with the search.

I've emailed Gil for decals, so they're in the pipeline :)

I've replied to a couple of places with what you've just said about the basic job. Waiting for responses now.

I think that may well be the way forward. I guess then stickers will be easier to replace if they start to peel at all / get scratched.

Thanks for the reply.

Had you been a tad closer, I live in Sheffield but work in York, I would have taxi'd it for you for free.

Instead of clear-coat I simply applied heli-tape over decals (and paintjob) to preserve my new look.

If any PC'ers come back and question the quality of the job for £30 I can categorically say that I wouldn't have taken a 2nd frame back, nevermind 3, had the first job not been up to standard.

Whenever I drop stuff off there is always a rack of alloys, bike frames and garden gates etc awaitubg his attention so he cant be all that bad! He is a very busy fella!

The helitape idea is a good one too. Thanks.
I'm sure that cut to size over decals and on the underside would do the job. I'm still finding bits from were the previous owner had put some for cable rub. It's not very easy to spot.

Re:

I live not far from you and used these guys after a recommendation from a frame builder friend.
They masked and stripped my stumpjumper frame and then powder coated it for £65.

http://dandsprecisioncoatings.co.uk/

Just don't tell them it's "not urgent" :facepalm:

They did a cracking job and do a fair few bike frames.

Re:

I used someone on the Harborough Road for a couple of mine but 3d in Coventry have done some others and have done a much nicer job to be honest. It would be worth the 1/2 hour drive up there.

Back