?? Possible to convert from 1" quill stem to Ahead type

Hadagan

Retro Newbie
Hi guys
I would like to convert my old 1994 mountain bike to suspension forks from rigid forks

I just love my bike and if I could upgrade the forks it would make such a difference

The current rigid forks are a 1" diameter, 127mm long, 40mm thread length steerer tube and the handlebars fit into the forks via a quill system

Is it possible to put suspension threadless steerer forks in or are there limitations due to the frame

If poss what happens to the top ball race crown bit, which at the moment screws down and tightens up the forks in to the frame

Any advice is most appreciated and if possible could links to shops be provided so I know where to buy them?

It depends on your setup so would need more details (and of course pictures :))

But you'll need a new stem and possible a new headset unless you wish to use a 'M-Part A:daptor' Converter .I don't know anything about them but replace the screw part I think and maybe only with cartridge style Shimano
It is probably better just to get a new headset though.

Your steerer tube will need to be about ~40mm longer than it is now on your new forks. Though actual length will depened on what you have now and what you are getting

As for stem, you'll need a new one. It's how they work.

1 - What's your bike?
2 - Where are the pics?
3 - Yes you can change to sus forks but the choice in 1" is not extensive. You'll also need to ditch the current headset and replace with 1" threadless type. Spares come up on this site or ebay quite often.

My Oranges both have 1" threaded sus forks at the moment (pace) but I wouldn't put anything with too much travel on. Running approx 50mm just now :LOL:

all of what you ask is possible but you could use the £ to put towards a slightly more modern bike with 1 1/8" steerer for more choice of forks and more travel (generally 63-80mm) and keep your other one pure and rigid!

Back