Please help - 2002 Shimano Deore LX Rapidfire SL

Sherbear

Retro Newbie
I have a 2002 Shimano Deore LX Rapidfire SL. The problem is unlike derailleurs from recent times, this derailleur cannot be adjusted up and down. It's just straight bolted into the bike.

So the chain keeps hitting it, but since I can't adjust it up and down, I don't know what to do. I've taken to couple bike shops but they say they havent seen this kind of retro derailleur.

I'm wondering if I need to just replace the whole thing or if there is still a way I can adjust thing thing. Any comments or insights is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240930_230045.jpg
    20240930_230045.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240930_230107.jpg
    20240930_230107.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 15
Does it move out you pull (sideways) on the cable directly above it?
Is it bent? Have you tried drenching it in penetrating oil?
The derailleur unsurprisingly isn't unique, it's an 'e type' and can usually be found cheaply on eBay.
The RHS crank will have to be removed for any replacement.
If you get really stuck I have a new LX e-type front mech in my spares stash.

Hi, thank you for replying. No, it is not bent. And no, it does not move out.

I have not drenched it in oil as I'm not sure what the purpose of that would be...?

The issue is that the cage is in the way of the chain, so I just wanted the derailleur cage to move down a little. But again there's no up/down adjustment. Just straight bolted to the bike.:confused: The bike itself is a 2002 StumpJumper XC, btw.

I think that's called an E-type fr der. Not valuable like an E-type Jaguar sadly, it is mounted within the bb cup & frame. I don't think there is adjustment, if any it is if you can give it some small rotation within the bb cup. So crank off & bb loosened to adjust (if any).
Replacing it with a conventional choice would make sense & should be relatively cheap to source a matching 2002 mech. This design of E-type fr der is not very versatile with alternative cranks or bigger chainrings etc. It is flawed.

Okay thank you. Yep, flawed, I agree.

The cassette in the rear is a 9-speed and 11 to 32 teeth. The front crank set has 3: 22, 32, 44 teeth.

Is there a specific make/model that you would recommend as a replacement? Something that would provide the most bang for the buck that wont break the bank but still worthy? Thank you. And I'm so glad I came across this forum tonight!

Apologies, I misunderstood your initial post - I thought it wasn't moving at all 🤦
Some e-type front mechs adjust with alternate mounting holes on the bracket interface but I don't think the LX had that facility.
I can grab some photos of the alternative e-type's if interested or as above you can just remove and swap for a conventional mech (although you might have to add a bb spacer if you have an e-type specific bb).

If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate pics of some alternates. Thank you 💖
Oh wait, but yes no other mounting holes on this mtb, so I will need to swap out for a conventional. Thank you tho! But if you have any recommendations for the conventionals, would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Back